In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3/8" Scope Bases on 6.5 mm Rifle?

KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Recently bought a Kimber Sporterized Mauser M96 in 6.5X55. Very cool gun, wanted one for years. However, it came with 3/8" scope bases already installed - no rings, or scope. Gun is in excellent condition - may never have been fired since Kimber reworked it. Anyway, I've never seen a 3/8" scope base or rail on a high powered rifle. Aren't the 3/8" pretty much just used on .22s?

I'm wondering if I need to switch back to normal width bases or just buy 3/8" scope rings and have at it? Anybody have any experience with 3/8" bases & rings in an application like this?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Kimber put it on they must think its ok for the task. I don't the Swede is a heavy recoil unit.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might consider measuring them again. A common European size, is 7/16", ( over there is 11mm).

If they are 3/8"? High quality steel rings, would be the way to go. 96's are heavy stout rifles. Like Charlie says. Not going to be much recoil, with light bullet 6.5 loads. Long as you don't hot rod them.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely, if it was redone by Kimber, and is of the usual high quality their workmanship exhibits, they are Talley bases. A lot of custom/semi-custom manufacturer's use Talley bases a lot. Cooper is one of them. They are strong as an ox, and lighter in weight, and very high quality. Expect to pay in excess of $100.oo for a set of Talley rings. They are well worth it.

Best