In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR Supressor shopping

TexasonTexason Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I got a new 10.5" upper to make a SBR. Now need a good "can" for the end to do some quiet hog hunting. What maker and model of supressor is best?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought: have you considered a "pinned" suppressor? This would only require one $200 NFA stamp.
    There are lots of options for .223 suppressors, just be sure your choice is OK with the short barrel.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to run a SEARCH on the forums (link at the top of the page) for the word "suppressor". Lots of good information there.

Neal
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was an article in this months American Rifleman, about suppressors. It had a big list of the companies that make them. GemTech, Surefire, and Sig are among the ones that stand out. Look one that has a high level of performance, and that is easy to maintain/take apart and clean...yes they need to be cleaned.
  • Options
    TexasonTexason Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal I'll do a search.

I have read the Am. Rifleman article and what stood out was that the supressor that are directly threaded tend to keep the accuracy/POA better. Any thoughts or experiences similar to accuracy?

Also, I am leaning towards a titanium body for ruggedness, weight factors, and longevity. Is the extra expense worth it?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "yes they need to be cleaned."

Not according to most of the makers. Only those designed for use on rimfire require cleaning. Most reports say that making a suppressor dis-assemble makes them weaker or heavier(to make the threaded parts stronger).
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "yes they need to be cleaned."

Not according to most of the makers. Only those designed for use on rimfire require cleaning. Most reports say that making a suppressor dis-assemble makes them weaker or heavier(to make the threaded parts stronger).