In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger blackhawk

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Would a Blackhawk with the barrel marked "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" be worth a premium over a standard blackhawk?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    When talking about Ruger Black Hawk pistols is "three screw" better or worth more than the new model? Is there any significance about the three screw?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can 45 ACP be used in a Ruger New Model Blackhawk....its chambered for 45 long colt????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the "New Blackhawk", and the OLD Blackhawk. Is it frame size like the old, and new Vacquero? THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can you tell if you have an old model black hawk. The one I have is a flat top above the cylinder. thanks jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can someone give me a ball park value and age on this one ruger blackhawk ser # 32-96744 six shot revolver seem tight but with a good bit of surface rust i think a good cleaning may take care of some of the rust but not all btw its a 357
  • Options
    edited November -1
    starting to look at buying a ruger blackhawk in 41 mag for hunting and because it just looks good but is there a diffrence in performance between the 4 and 6 1/2 inch barrel? im new to the handgun world so pardon any dumb questions
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did Ruger offer the Blackhawk with a 12 inch barrel? I thought the longest they made was a 10 1/2 but a friend says otherwise...any help appreciated...Bull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me what the following pistol is worth?
    It's a Ruger Blackhawk 45colt. I believe it's a 5 1/2 inch barrel. On the top of the barrel it says something like made in the 200th anaversary of out revolution (or something like that). It is in very good comdition. Also I assume that it was made in 1976. Am I correct in that?

Thanks,

Tony
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Current manufacture 44 Mag Blackhawk. Will be loading/shooting hard cast, lead bullets. What is the barrel twist rate and what weight bullets will shoot most accurately with that twist rate? Thanks!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely worth more to collectors. Its still a boat anchor just like the new model. It's a 5 shooter to carry.

Most of them shoot OK, nothing special or exciting. Good serviceable pistols on the low end of price and craftsmanship IMHO.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the 3 screw does not have hammer block safety but like any firearm that has a old model " 3 screw" and a new model colledctor interest is more for the old model
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many "old model" guns have been sent back to Ruger for the hammer block safety recall, so they function the same as the "new model".

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're definitely worth more to collectors. Three-screw models are the original Ruger design, before the transfer bar; they're more akin to the classic Colts that way.

These may have slightly better/slicker actions, but the older Colt design means they can go off if dropped with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Traditionally, these are loaded with five rounds in the cylinder and the hammer down on an empty chamber for safety.

You can read, probably more than you'd ever want to know, about these below:

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/3-screw-ruger-blackhawk/

Edit: And yes, many of the older guns have been retrofitted by Ruger with the transfer bar. So from a functional perspective, there many not be ANY difference. As an aside, I've been told that if you send Ruger any older gun, for any reason, and it hasn't already been done, they'll automatically retrofit the transfer bar safety whether you ask them to, or not!
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I sent a 45LC three screw back to Ruger to have a 45ACP cylinder fitted to it. Ruger called and advised that in order to do the work it would have to be upgraded to the transfer bar safety. I didn't care so I said go ahead. They did the work, returned it in a new box and returned the parts they had removed in case I wanted to convert it back at a later date. Don't know if they still return the old parts or not.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 3 screw models do have more collector value, when their condition warrants it...meaning, they have to be in good condition.

About the retrofit of the new parts. They fit a transfer bar to the old gun, and have previously sent the old parts back. As to function, the retrofitted guns, do not change in function. To load and unload the gun, you open the loading gate, and pull the hammer to half cock to load and unload the gun. The New Models, to load and unload, all you have to do is open the loading gate, and the cylinder will turn to load/unload it. This is from experience! I have my late grandfathers 98% first year flattop Blackhawk, and my late father sent it in to be retrofitted. I have the old parts, and the pistol. My late grandmother paid $82.95 for it new, is what the receipt says. Yes, I am blessed!

Edit 1

I hate to say it like this, but the Old Models were made in the time frame that was the epitome of firearms manufacturing. The bean counters, had not yet gotten their hands on the production floor, and there was a lot more hand fitting, and pride that went into every one.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me, the old models are more desirable and have a greater value.
    The 3 screw 44 Magnum Super Blackhawks are especially well made with beautiful bluing and great triggers. They are also very accurate. I'll take an old model over a new model every time.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All but one of my Blackhawks are 3 screw "old models". The one new model is a convertible .45 Colt and ACP. I much prefer the older models over the new. I agree, the old models are more collectible and desirable IMO.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the 4 clicks.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A New Model is preferable to the kluge of a retrofitted Old Model.

Are they still returning the SAA type parts? Their lawyers might be worried about people putting them back in and making the guns "dangerous" again.