In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 Serial # Lookup

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Tried to check online couldnt find it. Can anyone tell me the year of serial #80BS31XXX

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx

I could not get anything to come up with all those Xs.
    Maybe if you put in a real serial number.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might give this one a try?

Not sure if it's case sensitive? But it only worked for upper case letters for me.

I put a bunch of different numbers in using "80BS31", than 3 random digits.

Only 1 showed a positive hit. It came up as 1983.

http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    CombatCommander 1983 1984 time frame but I agree if you want date you need to give us all of the serial numbersort of like looking for a house on your GPS and getting house number of 3XXXXXX
    grove ave[V]
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You close enough, Did all 80 series slides have a firing pin safety block and were they all marked "80 series"
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    Thank You close enough, Did all 80 series slides have a firing pin safety block and were they all marked "80 series"

I can't swear for a fact, that they were all marked. But the reason they went to the internal linkage, was to correct a perceived liability problem. My guess it was driven by the corporation's lawyers, trying to cover their butts against all eventualities. To sugarcoat it for potential buyers. The brought it out, as the new improved, "Model 80 Series."
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the series 80 was a POOR attempt IMHO to fix a falsely perceived Problem and to circumvent paying along standing agreement to pay a royalty with the heirs of a man named Swartz who had a better method of including an extra safety. His method That had been available to customers before WW II. I have two of these Colt built guns with the swartz safety. The original method used the grip safety to move the firing pin block. The series 80 used the trigger Thus making for a heavier trigger pull and eliminate the half cock hammer hooks.Colt has now gone back and you can order a new SERIES 70 pistol type fire

control parts.EDIT Neal I don't have any first hand knowledge on any Colt 1911 type pistols except full size Government models and conversion units that fit those frames If you look at the hammer on any colt the series 80 has a shelve for half cock[V][xx(]
    no hammer hooks so if someone would replace the hammer on any none series 80 1911type pistol with a series 80 hammer the have an Accidental discharge waiting to happen [:(!][xx(]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do the 80 series Commanders have the same safety as the 80 series Government Models? I ask because the 70 series Commanders were never different from the pre-70 series Commanders.

Neal
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1