In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For rwsinky Re Old Remington Shotgun

25wcf25wcf Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Your topic was locked before I noticed it and could add my two cents' worth.

Your shotgun is indeed the 1889 model. From my reference sources, it was probably manufactured in 1891. The barrels are decarbonized steel, as noted by the number "1" to the left of the serial number on the water table. The gun is in better than average condition. The left hammer screw has been replaced, as the original was flat-headed rather than round. Barrel chokes will be designated in numbers (usually two-digit) stamped on the barrel lugs. It takes a little more explanation, but a stamped "83" means roughly a 75% choke, a "32" would be 65% choke. Numbers were derived from shooting each barrel and counting the pellet strikes inside a 30-inch circle at 40 yards, using a 1 1/4-ounce load of number 8 lead shot.

I own several of these guns and they all have 2 3/4" chambers. I have done most of my bird hunting with one for the past twenty years or so, loading my own black powder cartridges with Federal paper hulls and either lead or bismuth shot as appropriate.

Your gun appears to be in good shape, but if you were going to try shooting it, you should have a competent gun smith check it out beforehand. And yes, shooting it remotely at first is not a bad idea, either.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The low pressure black powder substitutes on the market nowadays. Make using the older BP guns much more appealing.

Last summer, I used the stuff made and sold by Hodgdon, when shooting a 1860 Army replica. Very little fouling and mess as compared to BP. Lot easier to clean up. And I could get more than the usual 12 shots off, without the cylinder pin sizing up.

Only drawback is the price.[:(] The Hodgdon's must be sending their kids to Harvard, on what they make on the stuff.
  • Options
    rwsinkyrwsinky Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to you both for the information. I will file it along with the gun. I think it will remain a nice memory of my Grandfather and not try and use it.
    Russ
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look up rstshells.com for some shells in 2 1/2" safe to shoot in your old Rem double.