In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semi Auto Handgun Identification

wstiles1wstiles1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone could identify the handgun pictured. It is the background picture for GunBroker registration pop-up. Thanks for any help.
unknownhandgun.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig Sauer 229 Enhanced.

229-Enh-Elite-Hero-detail.jpg
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Sig Sauer 229 Enhanced.Not sure what it is, but not a 229.

EDIT:

Do a GOOGLE image search, using this search term, "sig sauer enhanced elite".
    No need. My agency issues SIG Classic Series pistols and I've been a SIG armorer for many years.

On all SIG Classic Series pistols barrel lockup is accomplished via a Petter system design, meaning the barrel and slide are locked by the enlarged chamber area of the barrel protruding up into the ejection port area of the slide. The OP pistol clearly doesn't use the Petter design.

Comparing the OP pic and that SIG website pic showing a P229 Enhanced Elite it's also plain that their trigger pivot pins and firing pin positioning pins are in different locations.

In addition, what would be the takedown lever pivot pin protruding on the right side of the frame in the OP clearly isn't a SIG Classic Series component. Looks more like just the end of a slide catch lever pivot pin.

The extractor and mag catch designs in the OP are also wrong for a SIG, the rear sight is mounted too far forward and the hammer is resting way too far to the rear for SIG's safety intercept notch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Sig Sauer 229 Enhanced.Not sure what it is, but not a 229.

Do a GOOGLE image search, using this search term, "sig sauer enhanced elite".
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the numerous (generic) polymer/steel knock offs offered by CAI, CDNN, and other price point sellers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked at the Sig 229 prior to posting, close but not quite. Look at the mag release button and interchangeable backstrap. When I pulled the code for the webpage to remove the picture I noticed some foreign language dialog in the code that made me think the web guy GunBroker uses I in another country which in turn made me think two things. Either it is a little marketed foreign pistol as Mobuck stated or it is a photoshoped hybrid of two or more firearms. I think it is the former due to the un-necessary time it would take to photoshop two guns together and make it look that good. Obviously they did remove any markings to avoid any image usage issues from the manufacturer.
    I think the mag release button and the backstrap are key. I have not been able to find any guns with the same shape as these.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To me, the main identifiable point, is the kinked trigger guard. There are a number of different pistols that looked similar. But they don't have the double radius trigger guard.

As a number of pistols now made have replaceable backstraps. Because of this, I wouldn't consider the backstrap as one of the main identifiable points. Like the 1911 with it's interchangeable main spring housing. They can be flat, or have a pronounced radius. My understanding is that these newer pistols, can be had with as many as 3 different interchangeable backstraps.
  • Options
    mrshortymrshorty Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    looks to be a tanfoglio or one of their clones
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrshorty
    looks to be a tanfoglio or one of their clones
    YOU GOT IT!!! That's what it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see what you're saying about the trigger guard. I used that too as an identifier. That's what drew my attention to the Sig. The reason I chose the grip is the way it inserts in the frame. It's squared at the top and straight down the vertical axis of the grip, unlike most other pistols like the S&W which is curved.
    Ricci, I don't think it is a Tangfolio. Did you have a model in mind? Or maybe a clone Make and model?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EAA or that new Turkey copy.