In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Watkins Shotgun

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Just got a British made Watkins double barreled shotgun in, can't find any information on it. This is a very nice old gun, in the original leather luggage, has a set of Briley 28 gauge tubes installed. I've done an internet search, haven't found any thing, no reference in The Blue Book.
Thanks for looking.
W.D.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find a couple of different Watson gunmakers, no Watkins.
    Maybe Mr Watkins was a dealer, not a gunmaker.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Variant marking - a pocket pistol by Watkins, Hereford, c1815-20,
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only thing could find was Watkins Cottrel and Co, of Richmond VA. Nathan Watkins was the honcho. Wholesale Hardware Co. In business from the early 1900's to the 1960's. Sold various firearms.It was common back then to sometimes put the retailers name on shotguns. Known as store brand, or hardware guns.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Hey I grew up about 10 miles from watkins Cottrel in Richmond Va. they were a BIG dealer in firearms most likely one of the top 2 or 3 in the state .
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boothroyd's Directory of British Gunmakers lists a Watkins & Co. in Banbury, Oxfordshire 1856-1950s.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to argue with HRF. But the quality british shotguns I've run across in the past. Are marked with the maker's name and place of manufacture, on the top rib between the barrels.

The OP has never noted where the Watkins name, was located on the shotgun?
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    On the rib of the shotgun, it says Watkins, Banbury. Watkins is also engraved on both sides of the action. The gun is moderately engraved, the serial number is 2274, it is English stocked with beautiful wood.
    The leather case has a label inside that says Chas Lancaster, 151 Bond St, London. On the bottom of the label is printed "Inventor of the improved copper primer". I don't know if the case was made for this gun, although it fits perfectly.
    W.D.

I'm thinking hrf hit the nail on the head.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search "Thomas J Watkins", that's the Watkins Gunmaker in Banbury.