In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FN Mauser Actions

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have three early post-war rifles built on FN Mauser actions. My question: Did FN build any pre-war actions with the solid left receiver rail (no thumb notch for clip loading) and with the bolt handle lowered for scope mounting?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a definitive reference, but Frank DeHaas said the 1941 Stoeger showed an FN sporter action with bent bolt handle but retaining the military clip slots and thumb notch.
    He said the big announcement for 1948 was deletion of the thumb notch and an even lower bolt handle, along with a single pull trigger.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig E. Olson states: "The pre-War II FN actions were like the standard Model 98, and did not have the changes described above." The changes were, "left receiver wall without thumb cut, low lift bolt lever, and a modified form of leaf type safety." These changes were after WW II.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Germans invaded and occupied Belgium in May 1940. Given that, the 1941 Stoeger Catalog wouldn't have been valid. In 1941, FN was making guns and parts for the Wehrmacht.

I've always had great admiration for Frank DeHaas, but he dropped the ball on that one.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1941 Stoeger catalog was probably laid out well back in 1940.

DeHaas says: "When I received the 1941 Stoeger catalog, I remember that I immediately ordered one FN action but my money was refunded. No wonder, for German troops invaded Belgium in May of 1940 and Stoeger's supply was most likely cut off before it began."