In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1873 Springfield carbine

rockingoranchrockingoranch Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
It has been refinished does this hurt the value? Any ideas about value?

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rockingoranch
    It has been refinished does this hurt the value? Any ideas about value?

They don't charge by the word here. More info maybe?

But basically, to answer your first question, yes, refinishing will hurt value.

Johnny
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need a lot more details. For example my 1873 carbine is obviously cut down from a rifle. Possible Custer serial number range increases value.
    Many other details affect value including condition & restoration does not help.
    In my case I don't care. Mine was given to me by my grandfather & he got it when his father died. I suspect it is a Bannerman special.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post quality photos, per this link. For identification and valuation.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    Need a lot more details. For example my 1873 carbine is obviously cut down from a rifle. Possible Custer serial number range increases value.
    Many other details affect value including condition & restoration does not help.
    In my case I don't care. Mine was given to me by my grandfather & he got it when his father died. I suspect it is a Bannerman special.

A Custer-era rifle is irrelevant to value as his unit was cavalry, not infantry. Conversely, genuine pre-Custer carbines do command higher values. As yours has been cut down, you're right that it was likely a Bannerman Special. Still, the sentimental value to you is priceless.
  • Options
    rockingoranchrockingoranch Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry about not enough info. Serial number is 17XXX Belongs to a friend most of the makings are buffed off good makings on hammer plate saddle ring missing some surface rust but very good condition will try to post pictures will look a bore tomorrow only part not work is sight elevator