In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Info on old KAR88?

k7gsxr750k7gsxr750 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was given this old rifle and just wanted to know whatever I can about it. From what I could find on it it's a KAR88 calvery rifle from early WWl. The engraving on the block at the end of the barrel from what I've read means it was a military issued rifle. I read up on the "numbers matching" and it looks like all the 4 digit numbers match. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if you have more info I'd love to know more about this gun.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/Derek_McKnight/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The KAR 88's are nice little weapons. It should have a spoon bolt handle and is probably still for the .318 diameter cartridge and still requires the five round clip to function properly.

I've had a couple and still have a Steyr made one. There is only one book dedicated solely to the Gew/Kar 88 and I've got a copy.

Make up a list of questions you want answered and I'll gather the info while in the shop tomorrow.

BTW. It's a pretty rare gun, don't mess it up if it's original.

ADDENDUM: I just saw the pictures you posted and you have a "S" stamp forward on the receiver. That means the rifle has been modified to use the later .323 cartridge instead of the .318
    Don't shoot srrplus 8mm Mauser ammo, but Remington, Federal, Winchester should be okay as it's downloaded from European or surplus. I would need to see in the action as to whether you stll need the clip. It was also made by Schilling, a commercial (not government) gunmaker in Suhl, Germany. They made German military rifles up through Weimar.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a book of Imperial German Regimental Markings.

Their is a very similar marking. It's meaning is given as the First Bavarian Supply Battalion, Field Bakery #3, Rifle #18.

What a hoot, the krauts going to all that trouble. For some turtle baker miles behind the front line.

My understanding is that they are very rare. Because they were very unpopular with the German Solders. Muzzle blast and flash because of the short barrel, was supposedly horrendous. They were pulled and replaced by the 24" barrel engineers carbine.

Interestingly enough they were sold surplus, to the Mexicans who were fighting a civil war at the time. Seen photos of the Mexican revolutionaries armed with them.

image_zpsm0npspul.jpeg
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From your pictures, it appears to me that your rifle will need the special clips to function as a repeater. The clips were designed to hold 5 cartridges and were inserted down into the magazine. When the bolt was closed, a cartridge was stripped out of the clip and traveled into the chamber. When the last cartridge was stripped out of the clip, the empty clip dropped out of the open bottom of the magazine. Modified rifles (as my 88 is) had small steel plates attached to the receiver bridge to accept a different kind of clip. Your rifle does not appear to have been modified.
  • Options
    k7gsxr750k7gsxr750 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow that's crazy we know what part of the military it was issued too now. Thank you!

I don't really have any interest in shooting it. Since it doesn't have any sentimental value to our family what would a ballpark figure on its worth if I were to sell it?

I love WWll arms and would like to get my hands on a bolt action. I've always liked the Enfield .303, and M1 grand even though it's a semi auto..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k7gsxr750
    Wow that's crazy we know what part of the military it was issued too now. Thank you!

I don't really have any interest in shooting it. Since it doesn't have any sentimental value to our family what would a ballpark figure on its worth if I were to sell it?

I love WWll arms and would like to get my hands on a bolt action. I've always liked the Enfield .303, and M1 grand even though it's a semi auto..

As I noted before, they are very uncommon. Your's appears to be in very good shape. Can't tell, if it's been refinished or not? Quite desirable to a collector of German Imperial guns.

They were only made for a short time in the 1890's. They were superseded in German service by the 98 AZ carbine, well before the first World War.

Because of it's rarity, you shouldn't have any problem either selling it. Or trading it for the W W II rifles, you want for your collection.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would sell easily here on GunBroker, no clue as to value but I'd bet you would be surprised.

I love everything about the M1 Garand except packing it. If you are into shooting WWII bolt guns then I'd be looking for 98 Mauser or a Springfield 03A3. Tons of sporterized units around at fair prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe, I've got Jeff Noll's book too and make it to be Bavarian First Train Batallion (pre-1914), Kompagnie 3, waffe (weapon) 18.

What page did you find the field bakery on?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Rufe, I've got Jeff Noll's book too and make it to be Bavarian First Train Batallion (pre-1914), Kompagnie 3, waffe (weapon) 18.

Page 64. I think you might be correct? I had a senior moment. There isn't a second capital "B", that denotes Field Bakery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Page 64. I think you might be correct? I had a senior moment. There isn't a second capital "B", that denotes Field Bakery.

Concur. Most likely it was a service train of some type though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Concur. Most likely it was a service train of some type though.

Back then, (Early 20th Century). Service Train/supply battalion. Same-Same. Horse drawn wagons.