In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ss guide rod glock

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
any one recommend a ss guide rod for the glock 19

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. I recommend you leave the stock recoil spring alone. 99% of the problems we see with Glocks is caused by after market parts.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off Glock could use a longer mag release. Slide release could be a bit more grippy and kicked out. Also without aftermarket bits there wouldn't be "factory" improvements.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is being used as a carry gun, leave it box stock, and use only factory ammunition. Any modifications, can, and will make you look like a blood thirsty killer, to a grand jury.

If it is not a carry gun, I do not recommend any other guide rod than the one that is in it from the factory. There are no issues with reliability. I like the extended slide release, and the 3.5 pound connector/spring. Leave the magazine latch as is, as with the extended magazine release, it becomes way easy, to accidentally drop your magazine.

Consequently, Glock makes both of these additions I suggest.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the others have noted, only thing Glock really needs. Is the extended take down latch. Leave everything else stock. If you intend to use it, as your EDC.

Range gun is something else. Not going to be used for personal protection. Anything your heart desires, and your wallet can handle. Do to it.

I still got my first Glock, that I bought in 87. Although I've hung, a lot of aftermarket parts on it. The only thing it really actually needed. Was the extended take down latch.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest ditching the plastic sights for metal ones. The factory sights are easy to break.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like good stainless steel. Open hand, drop the glock, insert a Kimber 1911 variant of your choice.[:p]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Other than adding a small amount of weight out toward the muzzle, a. SS guide rod really offers no real advantages.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Range gun is something else. Not going to be used for personal protection. Anything your heart desires, and your wallet can handle. Do to it.My philosophy...

Anyone who's serious about their carry gun should only shoot a pistol set up exactly the same on the range.

All range time imprints gunhandling/operation habits. In the middle of a gunfight, when it's operation is being done on autopilot, is no time for confusion or mistakes.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I like good stainless steel. Open hand, drop the glock, insert a Kimber 1911 variant of your choice.[:p]
    "Sam Gerard: Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.[:)][:)][:)]