In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

steel core ammo legal question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have someone telling me that it is illegal for an ffl holder to sell steel core ammo? don't sound right to me! anyone let me know? thanks

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has not been allowed to be imported for years. All the way back to the first Bush. In most cartridge designations, it is considered armor piercing for body armor, because handguns are made in most designated cartridges.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    That is true. The ATF does not allow FFL dealers to sell any AP ammo. An individual can posses AP ammo, but for whatever reason FFL dealers can't.

I just had a chance to consign 1000 rounds of norinco 7.62x39 steel core and I had to pass.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is always a fly in the soup. Some of the foreign ammo has a steel jacket, with a lead core.

Even though it will be attracted to a magnet. The lead core makes it legal.

In the past, I have run across some folks, that didn't or couldn't understand this.[8]
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Certain steel core and AP are exempt, while some, like the Norinco 7.62X39 mentioned by M1A762, are not. Due to the way that the firearms regulations were drawn up, a dealer must have a Type 09, Type 10 or Type 11 FFL to sell armor piercing ammunition.

Type 09 Dealer in Destructive Devices is allowed to: Dealer in firearms, including destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor-piercing ammunition.

The specific mention of armor piercing ammunition for dealers of Destructive Devices means that Type 01 FFL cannot sell it. A Type 09 FFL is $3,000 for a three year licensing period, so no one will bother with it just to sell a couple of cases of old ChiCom 7.62X39
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info guys, red