In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester M1 Carbine

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I happened upon an M1 Carbine today at a gun store in a small community in central Florida. I know the tremendous amount of variations, complexities, etc. associated with a "proper" GI carbine. I have a paratrooper model (Inland), as well as a standard model (Quality Hardware). But I do not have a Winchester, which this one is.....

What intrigued me about this one is the stock had R.I.A. on the left side close to the rear sight, Winchester receiver, Saginaw barrel (latter bayonet band). I noticed a couple of "W's" on other parts, but did not complete a disassembly of the rifle. I will agree that there are parts that have been changed over time, but the rework at the R.I.A. could account for that.

I guess I'm just debating on whether of not the gun is worth the $800 on the price tag. I'm trying to talk myself into or out of buying it.
Not having a Winchester, I almost want to buy it.

What say ye?

EDIT 1:

Thanks for the opinions.
The stock is proper and there are no import marks on the barrel.

Aaron

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a Winchester M1 Carbine. Can anyone give me the date it was made? The S/N is 1097133. The stock, handguard, barrel, tigger group and site are all marked W. Not sure about bolt, slide and front ban. The bolt is marked A 06, slide N 15, front ban K1 or KI.

Thanks for any help.

Doug
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You made a good analysis --- yes, it is a mixed parts gun that has been rebuilt one or more times; at least once it went through Rock Island Arsenal. Winchester made their own barrels, so that makes the Saginaw a replacement barrel. At this point, the small parts don't matter.

I think $800 is a fair price, provided 1) there is no import marking on the barrel & receiver, 2) muzzle wear is no greater than 3, & the wood is USGI & in good shape.

Neal
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You made a good analysis --- yes, it is a mixed parts gun that has been rebuilt one or more times; at least once it went through Rock Island Arsenal. Winchester made their own barrels, so that makes the Saginaw a replacement barrel. At this point, the small parts don't matter.

I think $800 is a fair price, provided 1) there is no import marking on the barrel & receiver, 2) muzzle wear is no greater than 3, & the wood is USGI & in good shape.

Neal

+1