In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens Model 1915 Favorite

rwsinkyrwsinky Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I need some help with this old rifle. It was inherited and I am no gunsmith. It needs a new screw that the hammer pivots on. The one that is in there looks like a homemade deal. I have ordered and received a replacement but I am leery of removing that old screw not knowing what will mess up if I remove it. More importantly, the barrel is not seating properly and appears to be getting hung on the ejector. Not really interested in firing this old gun but I would like to get it in working order. Anyone know of a good gunsmith who works on these old guns? I am in Central Ky and I can look up gunsmith's but not having any experience with them is challenging. I want this done right.
Russ

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are not a lot of parts in there, any good gunsmith should be able to fix it. Fitting or making the parts will cost more than just swapping in a new part that fits correctly.

This is the first schematic I found on line - no clue on the price.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/35931192/Stevens-Favorite-Info-Exploded-Views#scribd

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Rifles-40502/Favorite1915-39891.htm

Proper fitting screwdriver bits are a must if you want to avoid damage. In a 100+ years Bubba could have done a lot of "work" on your rifle. Be prepared for requiring more work that just the screw swap and a straighten extractor shank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swcVCa8VnM

added The hammer screw does look bad. Your pic's are ok, but the placement makes me scroll to right and left to see them which is a PIA. Solutions to your problems is a hands on issue IMHO, its impossible to see and feel the fit of the parts from here. Magic marker or dye chem the parts so you can see where the parts are interfering with a proper fit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information guys. The problem I am having is being caused by the extractor. If I remove that the action works perfectly. With the extractor installed the lever will only partially close and does not lock into place. The extractor does seat in the recess in the barrel so it has me stumped. Checked out the YouTube video and it was of no help. There is only one way to install the extractor that I can see. Frustrating!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are assuming it has the correct extractor?
    http://www.wisnersinc.com/stevens-favorite-extractors/

A barrel that doesn't seat right will cause problems too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are some pictures of my problem child! The one with the action closed does NOT have the extractor in it and that is whit it is closed so nicely. In the other photos I have shown the extractor by itself and also laying atop the action where it is positioned in the gun. What has me stumped is that when it is installed it does not move. Nothing seems to cam it over to where it would eject a cartridge. It does fit the barrel notch perfectly and is flush with the end of the barrel BUT the action will not close.
    I have seen the list on Wismer's of extractors. How would I know which is the correct one? I did order the Takedown manusl but I don't think these parts go together any other way so I am hoping you all might tell me what I am doing wrong - be nice!
    [img][/img]IMG_5778.jpg
    [img][/img]IMG_5784.jpgIMG_5783.jpgIMG_5781.jpg
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That spring loaded plunger in the extractor/ejector might be worn and sticking out too far? If it won't cam back over the breechblock screw when lever is raised, that would probably keep action from closing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hrf, Do I have the extractor in the correct orientation in the photo? That spring loaded plunger that you referenced does not move at all and maybe that is the problem. I have ordered a new extractor. What makes the extractor move? It will pivot on the lever screw but does the block come down and move the extractor?
    BTW, the hammer screw has been replaced with the correct screw. The one in there was a home made job.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Wisner's description of 1915 Favorite:

"The extractor was changed to the same "ejector type" used on the late 1894s which employed a captivated spring loaded plunger that snapped over the breechblock screw. This captivated plunger utilized a radiused end that protruded forward & when the lever moved the extractor in the appropriate location on extraction, this plunger snapped over center of the screw, causing rapid movement, ejecting the fired case."

Try tapping on the plunger, maybe it's just stuck?
  • Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worked on many 1915 model Favorites. The lever when opened kicks the extractor and the plunger should SNAP over the screw. The plunger on the pictured extractor is too long to snap over the screw. You either need a a different extractor or somehow fix the one you have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally! Thanks to all who replied. The rifle is finally working as it is supposed to. With the help of Jim Wisner at Wisners Inc and the correct part for the gun I got the part fitted and working very nicely. My old part did not "plunge" as it was supposed to. Thanks to the folks on here and Mr. Wisner for all the advice and suggestions.
    Russ