In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WWII Remington Rand

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
We're any of these issued to general officers nickel plated. If so we're they factory plated and are they verifiable by serial number.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rebuilt 1911's, for General Officers. Were blued, cut down, Colt 1911's, marked RIA and General Officers pistol. Made between 1972 and 1981.

Nickeled Remington Rand, doesn't seem correct? Although it might have been the personal property, of a U.S. General.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is supposed to be a WWII bring back from this guys uncle. I will be able to look at it tomorrow. Supposed to have pearl or ivory grips as well. Hopefully the quality of the nickel will give me some hints
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During WW2, GO pistols were blue or parkerized Colt 1903's.

A plated 1911A1 was WITHOUT DOUBT modified by Bubba. Value is likely $400-500. There are a couple of gunsmiths who could strip the plate & parkerize such guns, & it would look like an arsenal rebuilt gun.

Neal
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    remember the slide is marked but the serial number will need to match the Range that was Assigned to Remington Rand. real ivory or MOP will be of value but cheap plastic made to look like either [:(] We all would like to see pictures [^]
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can find no mention of a nickel Remington Rand, special build for a General Officer, in any reference 1911 book that I have. After WW II there was custom gunsmithing done in Germany and Japan for the military forces stationed there, and they did very nice work. It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that it is factory nickeled. The only exception would be a special order for a General Officer and that would have to be verified. It would not be unusual to have a 1911 "enhanced" as a gift for a departing Commander. But that would be done to a standard 1911 by a private / outside concern.
    Thank you for the update. It is always good to hear the results of our combined input.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    This one is supposed to be a WWII bring back from this guys uncle.The 1911 wasn't issued as a General Officers pistol until 1972.

These were produced from the military's existing 1911A1 stock, polished blue and marked 'General Officers Model' over 'RIA' on the slide. To my knowledge all were made using Colt pistols.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I saw the gun and it definitely was not a factory nickel. Although it was a WWII vintage Remington Rand 1911 and properly marked he wanted 1,500.00 and at that price I wasn't interested in denickeling it and reparkerizing it though that is what it needed. Underneath it was still a nice gun. He also had a 1903-a3 Smith Corona from the DCM 1962 in the original crate with paperwork in the cosmoline but he wanted $2,000.00.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    Well I saw the gun and it definitely was not a factory nickel. Although it was a WWII vintage Remington Rand 1911 and properly marked he wanted 1,500.00 and at that price I wasn't interested in denickeling it and reparkerizing it though that is what it needed. Underneath it was still a nice gun. He also had a 1903-a3 Smith Corona from the DCM 1962 in the original crate with paperwork in the cosmoline but he wanted $2,000.00.

Payed all of $17.00, for mine. @ $2000, should of held on to it.[:D]

Where you find this guy at? Sounds like are, local Gun Show scalpers.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when dad couldn't get $50 for a 1911A1 with the holster and a 50 cal ammo full of ball ammo.

The O3A3 barrel on my Newton rifle came from a batch of 5 for $5 with $7.50 for shipping.