In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. 94 head space ?

idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have an original 1894 Winchester with 26" round barrel in 30 WCF. It was re barreled sometime in the past with a factory 94 Winchester barrel. It shows signs of some slight head space as the primer sticks out of the case slightly after firing. What is the fix for this? It seems to me that if one thread was turned off and then the barrel re chambered the dovetails for the magazine would no longer be correct. It is a nice rifle and I would really like to make it right. Thanks Steve

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure that it's a head space issue. Light loads often leave the primer high because the case doesn't set back to the bolt face without enough pressure. A rough chamber could do that too.

I'd be looking at the bolt, locking bolt and groves they ride in the receiver on.

I fixed my POS 94AE in 44 mag by welding on the back of the bolt and filing it down to fit. No more stinging hand from the lever.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This page won't open in Firefox, but will in IE.
    http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm
    Select "rifle", locate 30-30 Winchester, than look at the headspace spec (rim clearance) on the chamber drawing.
    Than measure the amount of primer protrusion and add that to the thickness of your cases rims.
    If the rim+primer is less than the max chamber spec, than you're golden.

BTW, primer protrusion is normal in the 30-30 and other low pressure cartridges.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several dozen Winchester 1894s that were made starting from the first month of production through about 1930. Nearly all of those that are in .30 WRF caliber push the fired primers out a ways just as you describe. The odd thing is that none of those in the other calibers (38-55, 32 Special, etc.) do that, only those in .30 WCF. They all close up easily on the "GO", "NO GO", and "FIELD" head space gauges showing that indeed there is excess head space.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    I have several dozen Winchester 1894s that were made starting from the first month of production through about 1930. Nearly all of those that are in .30 WRF caliber push the fired primers out a ways just as you describe. The odd thing is that none of those in the other calibers (38-55, 32 Special, etc.) do that, only those in .30 WCF. They all close up easily on the "GO", "NO GO", and "FIELD" head space gauges showing that indeed there is excess head space.

Thruthful, those are some rare Winchesters![:D]

Seriously, I second the motion that the primer protrusion is normal. Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    quote:Originally posted by truthful

Thruthful, those are some rare Winchesters![:D]

Seriously, I second the motion that the primer protrusion is normal. Don't worry about it.

I "C" what you mean[:D]
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve,

If you truly have a headspace problem, then you should be able to correct it by installing the appropriately-thick locking bolt, as shown, below:

td15.jpg

________

+++++++
  • Options
    idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank all of you for the help. Thanks Steve