In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning .22 Auto Rifle Date of Manufacture?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have what I believe is an early Browning .22 auto rifle. The serial number prefix is A7. I looked it up on some internet sites but am still uncertain when it was made. Late 50's or early 60's is the best I can tell.
Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The A should mean it is chambered for 22 shorts only, the 7 denotes the year 1967.
    W.D.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read that the "A" prefix meaning .22 short only chambering, changed in 1961 to an "E" prefix, so wouldn't the DOM be 1961 or earlier? The complete serial number is A7 364.
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is the number located, is it on the bottom of the barrel in front of the forearm?
    edited November -1
    The serial number is located on a flat metal ring surrounding the hole where the magazine tube is inserted.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Homer C. Tyler, author of the book on these rifles the letter A prefix would ordinarily precede rifles chambered in short caliber, but some inconsistency was found with one for a Grade I Long Rifle with the number A77xx.

Your rifle is probably in short caliber, right? What kind of rear sight does it have?

Add: The prefix A for Shorts & T for Long Rifle were used for the first five years with about 12000 Shorts being produced, so it would appear by this information that your rifle would have been manufactured within this time frame.
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    Yes it's a 22 short, wheel sight, 22 inch barrel.