In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

prewar model 70 22 hornet

bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy a prewar model 70 in 22 hornet. 67xx serial number. This comes from an older gentleman whos relatives worked at winchester. He's looking to get 2000.00. Excellent shape, 90% plus. This is my problem, it has been drilled and tapped in the receiver for a scope. He told me, and my research shows this is not factory. Also has a lyman 48 peep that might be original. This is alot of money, but its a pretty rare gun. Im looking at it as an investment but the xtra holes make me wonder, any advice...Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How is the bore?

added. Then it should be a fine shooter if it has an excellent bore. The Hornet is ok and very fuel efficient plus easy on the ears compared to those 4000 fps jobs.

Brass, bullets and ammo are available at reasonable prices. With cast bullets its like primer cost plus a penny a round to shoot. Around a nickel a pop.

Have you done an advanced search on completed auction for a price check?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being D & T, is a no'no for collectors, that want factory original guns.

I'm not familiar with the value of pre war Model 70's, in 22 Hornet?

My WAG is that the D & T'ing. Would reduce the value by at least 50%. And that would be to a collector, who would even want to buy it. Purest type big buck collectors. Likely wouldn't be interested at all.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think it would have been a good buy 20 years ago just like cars they reach their top value somewhere about 50 years after they were made a ford a model sold in good condition for more in the 1980's that they do now while 1970 sell for big bucks now. I had one about 30 years ago when I had a number of hornets of all makes but sold it to some one that really wanted it IMHO there are new guns that are better for much less than $2000.00 YMMV
  • Options
    bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
    edited November -1
    The bore is excellent
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Depends on the holes somewhat.... 2 holes in the front bridge is correct.

An additional hole or holes in the top of the rear bridge is bad.

Side holes are even worse.

A single hole in the top of the rear bridge isn't too bad, and $2K is good. A prewar Hornet with nice original finish would part out for about $2K.

Without extra holes it could be a $3500 rifle... or more... 90% is subjective.

I have one I have shot quite a bit. It's pretty accurate, with a Lyman 20X Supertargetspot, 3/4" groups at 100 yards is normal. A little difficult to single load off the bench. The trigger is OK, not great.

Aside from the trigger on the model 43 which s horrendous, I prefer the lightweight of the model 43 over the model 70 for the 22 Hornet. Also the detachable magazine of the model 43 is a plus.

Hard to mount a big scope on a 43 though. They look stupid with anything bigger than a 32mm objective. I think the model 43 pretty much ruined the sales of the model 70 Hornet.....
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always wanted a model 70 in 22 hornet. just never had the $$$[V][V]