In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scoping a Remingtom Model 33

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone ever mounted a scope on a Rem. Model 33 single shot rifle? A good friend wants it done to his squirrel gun. This old boy lives the life a lot of us wish for. He almost lives a subsistence life, eating mostly fish and game he harvests, and trades for nearly everything else. Says his eyes ain't as good as they were, so needs a scope. Lord only knows how many squirrels and other small game the gun has accounted for.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will need to make the bases. Should/looks to be a round receiver so measure it. Drill that hole in some 3/4" thick or so aluminium plate say 2"x2". Cut it half, trim the sides so they don't interfere with the stock. I'd make sure the base is tall enough he can still load the rifle with the scope in place. You could drill and tap the bases (not in the center) in place or a glue like metal set on the receiver.

Get a Weaver flat one piece and D&T it to your base (on the other side of center. Mount scope of choice in Weaver rings, install on the rail.

You could do a lot of modeling with plastic and glue to work out the details.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Weaver-reg-Multislot-One-Piece-Base/1869459.uts

Personally I would look for a repeater that could be scoped with off the shelf parts. A takedown Ruger 10-22 would be on my list.

Maybe a Marlin XT-22TSR or a CZ 455 American
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could do 2 piece top mounts with high rings but the period type would be a high side mount 3/4" and I may even have one.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should