In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No date code on BP repro brasser revolver

rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
I found a brass-frame .36-caliber reproduction revolver at the Tulsa show. It's a Griswold & Gunnison style. The imprints are: "Black Powder Only 36 cal." on the left side of the round barrel; "Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J." on top of barrel; and "made in Italy" on right side of barrel. I have many Italian BP revolvers and all have a date code on the brass frame. This one has nothing. The brass and screws show no obvious signs of buffing and the steel parts and wood grips look almost like new. Other than someone having buffed out the typical Italian date code, I'm baffled. I think the date codes should go back to the 1940s, and this gun isn't anywhere near that old. Any ideas on who made revolvers for Navy Arms and why there's no date code?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure who made them. I think they move the tooling around between the brands every decade or so.

Lunch break oversight? Mistakes happen, quality control doesn't catch everything.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Griswold-and-Gunnison-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/1167468.uts
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made by Pietta, according to the BB for Black Powder guns.

There is a Pietta section with serial numbers, nothing for the Griswold & Gunnison though.

According to this BB, some of these revolvers were made as to be non functioning prop guns. Maybe that is why, their are no Italian proof marks on yours?
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw several other BP brassers without date and maker markings, including at least one Navy Arms, at a gun show Saturday, so I guess many just came without the markings. I'm still curious why, though.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rossowmn
    I saw several other BP brassers without date and maker markings, including at least one Navy Arms, at a gun show Saturday, so I guess many just came without the markings. I'm still curious why, though.

My WAG. If they were manufactured in Italy, as non functional, "prop" or replica guns. They would have avoided the expense. Of being sent, through the Italian government proof houses. Once they got over here, all they had to do was replace the non functional dummy barrel. With a real one.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those Navy arms pistols. They were originally kit pistols that were damaged in shipment (corrosion). The C Sharps Arms Co was hired to clean them up before they were put on sale. They were buffed as necessary to make them saleable. These were on the market years before Pietta was in business. I got mine 35 years ago.