In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ECHO Scope Mounts

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Finally found a scope base for an FN49 and while not exactly correct, an ECHO commercial mount with the smaller knobs was also snagged. The rings are 1" and not split. I'm quite certain the ECHO base with integral rings is aluminum, which leads to a general question.

How the heck do you get a scope into these things?

I've used older Jager rings and whatever they're made of is malleable enough to open way up, slip in the scope and that works. Other times, using period correct older scopes, I've removed the front or rear bell and the adjustment tower and slide it through. There's got to be a better way, yes?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only other way would be to solder the rings, to the body of the scope. The rings would not completely surround, the body of the scope though. This was done originally with German commercial scopes, mounted by master gunsmiths. Some of their W W II military scopes, also used this system.

I believe the answer to your original question, with the solid rings. Required the scope to be disassembled.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right. Scopes of that era were not dry nitrogen filled and it was usual to take the scope apart and reassemble it around the rings.
    I guess that is why quick detachable mounts were popular, so you could take a fogged scope off and shoot with iron sights.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember Ed Herkner. I have some of his stuff. I think the side mount for my Newton rifle is one of his side mounts.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you keep looking, you may be able to find Echo split rings for that base. I've got that set-up with a Weaver V7 on an 03-A3 Remington. (Of course it was put on there long ago!)
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've taken older scopes apart before, not too big a deal. But I wasn't aware that was the usual way of doing things and figured I was missing something - guess not. I jumped at the mount because they don't come up all the often and wanted to make sure I had something to put on the rifle. Finding an FN49 base is a challenge, didn't want the mount to slip through my hands.