In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1907 Police Positive .32

shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Need some help. I found a Colt with the markings:

Colt horse with: "Colt's New Police"

Right side of barrel: "Police Positive"

Left side: Colt D.A.32 I think it shoots ".32 Long Colt"

On the tang serial # is: 5357x. 70% condition

It is a first year production gun but does that mean anything for the value. The guy is selling for $600. What is it worth? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    70% would be a big negative, as far as collectors value is concerned. 32 revolvers of any make. Would have to be at least. In Very Good condition, to be worth that kind of money. Demand is the biggest factor influencing value. 32 revolvers @ 70%, Colt or no Colt, aren't.

Generally when Colt revolvers are marked "New Police". They were chambered for the more common Smith & Wesson cartridges. 32 S & W and 38 S & W. Colt didn't want to put S & W's name, on their revolvers. So they sold the same ammo. And marked their guns either 32 or 38 New Police.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a recently completed auction of a similar gun on GB:

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/716476040

Hard to tell from the photos, but I would think it's 80-90%. It brought $380.

I find that searching GB COMPLETED auctions is really helpful in determining the real market value of most guns.

Neal
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, .32 New Police is the .32 S&W long case, but loaded with the deadly flat pointed Colt bullet. (Hatcher Relative Stopping Power is 5% higher for a flat point than a roundnose of the same ballistics.)

Also agree, $600 is way high.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would make it worth $600.
    Police Positive Targets are scarce and just cute.
    As are SW Regulation Police Targets.