In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911A1 70 vs 80 Help!

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Can someone please tell me what is the main differences between the Colt Series 70 and the Series 80? I have tried to find this info, but have had no luck.?
Thanks for your time and info!

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    little dodad that blocks fireing pin till trigger pulled ..70 could go bang if dropped[:p]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 21st century, everybody, even Colt employees, think "Series 70" means "lacking firing pin block" But in 1970, it meant "having the Accurizor bushing." (Collet type.)

"Series 80" means "having firing pin block."
    But even that is confusing because the firing pin block was not introduced until 1983. I guess the same advertising agency that has redefined Series 70 thought that "80" was sexier than "83."

There was some overlap into the 1980s, guns with both Series 70 bushing and Series 80 firing pin obstruction. But misfit and mistreated collets can occasionally shed a finger and jam up the gun, so the device was discontinued.

Now you can buy a "Series 70" Colt with neither collet bushing nor firing pin block.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    before WW II a man working for Colt came up with a new safety and called it a SWARTZ safety device it was at that time advertised under " a safe gun made safer. and colt made it available on their 1911 type pistols both 45acp and 38 super when WWII started the military did not want to have this option and all military pistols had this safety removed but colt had payed a royalty to swartz for each gun with one jump forward 40 years or so and colt thought the design again had some merit but did not want to pay the heirs of swartz the royalty so they made a slight remake and called it a series 80 the big difference is swartz did not ruin the trigger pull[^] like the current series 80 does
    [V][:(!][xx(][:(]series 70 it was a part of how the the grip safety worked [^][:)]editthere were even some foreign sales from colt with SWARTZ safety I have a pre WW11 by serial number but shipped to Argentina in 1942 I got it from Locust Fork hear on GB with c in serial number as well as a National Match pre war I love the Swartz hate the series 80
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the pistol exactly how John designed it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be easier to research if you use the correct nomenclature. The model gun in question is "Government Model".

Neal
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put one of those shims in my 38 Super and the trigger pull was reduced by 1/4 pound.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Piggybacking the OP, I don't like having the hole in the slide and leave the plunger in place without the spring. I use a Series 70 only FP and the plunger simply rides on it.

I know some will say the Series 80 trigger can be tuned just as well as the Series 70. Perhaps that's true, but I'm more comfortable cleaning up the 70. And whether it's real or imagined, I think I can feel the dogleg "whip" just a bit on the 80 version.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentalmen: Thanks for the info and photos! This helps very much!