In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger 77/357

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Need some information on this rifle/caliber. Any game taken with it.
Ammo type, reloads, etc. Scoped, open sights, good to what range?
Thanks. Geri

Comments

• Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice carbine in a 357 Mag but not very practical for hunting anything bigger than a medium size hog. I also have the 77/44 Mag. too and haven't used either one in a while. I reloaded for both of them using heavier bullets mostly 240 grain for the 44 Mag and even tried 300 grain (a mistake dropped too much compared to 240 grain) and 157 grain bullets for the 357 Mag with slower burning powders and they were both fairly accurate at 50 yards. Best groups were 5 shots in 1 to 1.5 inch CTC with scope at 50 yards from a bench rest.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be a nice companion gun if you carried a 357 pistol. Almost all loading data I have seen is the same as pistol - you just more velocity due to the longer barrel. Accuracy is usually better because you have two hands, a shoulder and perhaps your cheek plus a longer sight radius and maybe even a scope.

I never liked the 357, if I'm putting up with the recoil and noise then I shooting a 44 Mag. Back when I was shooting a lot 1 gallon milk were toast at 200 yards using a S&W 29 10 5/8 barrel. I have a Winchester 94 AE 18" that makes hitting those same jugs a little easier when the POS isn't broke.

If you plan on hunting big game, then use a ballistic program to evaluate both energy at the target and the drop from say a 100 yard zero.

I have been casting pistol bullets for nearly 50 years. Only my 22 Jet shows noticeable improvement with factory jacketed bullets over my cast ones. If you stick to the heavy end 158 gr and perhaps with gas checks you will enjoy cheaper shooting. Then there is plated and powder coated which could work too
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. Decided not to buy one.
    Don't need another toy. Will use more the ones that I
    have. Thanks again to all who responded.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have marlin lever action and use 158 gr hollow point to hunt with, I have killed several deer, whitetails with it, I got it for my grandson to use as there is no recoil to speak of. I don't do chronograph or such but was told the ballistics were close to 30-30 under 100 yards. around here a fifty to seventy five yard shot is a long one in woods. and it is handy and light. also holds 10 rounds in case you come across a group of coyotes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am down sizing. For the last three years the pronhorn antelope I have harvested have all been 100 yds or less. I hunt the end of season, and like to get close. This fall was about 50 yds. Right now the 243 win. is my go to hunting rifle.
    Thanks again for all the input.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .243 is about perfect for what you describe... and will still cleanly take a Pronghorn out to 400 yds if you do your part.

The.357 is 100-150 yds tops due to rapid energy loss and a rainbow trajectory IMHO.

I wouldn't change a thing