In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1894 38-55 rifle

338weatherby338weatherby Member Posts: 427 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I have a friend who is selling this rifle that has been in his family for 60+ years. It's a standard rifle with octagon barrel, full mag, and crescent butt. It's a 38-55 and the serial number is 74xxx. The condition is ok. Wood is nice with no cracks, gouges or evidence of sanding/refinishing. The receiver looks correct with striations and case colors on hammer and lever. The problem is the barrel and magazine look to be reblued or messed with. There appears to be flaking or shinny spots on the barrel. The lettering and corners look correct. No polishing and small dings in the corners don't have bluing. It looks to me that someone years ago rubbed some kind of bluing on it. I know the value is significantly dropped and I don't want to offer too little. The bore and rifling looks to be 7 of 10. I feel the value is $1000-$1250. Does this sound correct? Would this be a candidate for a professional reblue or restoration?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know anything about the value? But if the barrel, would have been one of the very early nickel steel barrels? Would have that affected it's finish. So that it wouldn't have the same blued finish, as the carbon steel receiver?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, when it comes down to the point you're at, it's between you and the seller on the selling price. If you're looking at having it restored, the cost of the restoration, plus the purchase price is generally almost more than the value of the gun. However, if it's a gun you want, and price isn't a real big deal, buy it, have it restored and enjoy it..
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a shooter to me. Have you done an advanced search on completed auctions - I'm sure you can get a reasonable buying/selling price there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did look at past auctions and not many sell or sell low. The rifle is nice enough as is to be a shooter and still has the "look". It's just not the original collector piece. I think $1000 is fair. Thanks.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early production Model 1894 barrels made for the 38-55 and 32-40 were not nickel steel (as they were for the 30 WCF, 25-35 WCF and 32 WS). Instead, they were what Winchester referred to as "high strength" steel.

Rebluing or refinishing the rifle will have a permanent and detrimental effect on the value and collector interest.

The partial serial number you mention makes it an 1899 production Sporting rifle.

$1,000 is reasonable enough.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the opinion. If feel the same and just wondered if I was too low. It's a good friend who is trusting me on it and has no clue. If it wasn't an early model in 38-55 I wouldn't be interested in it.