In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA Arizona Centennial

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
Santa brought me a nice firearm for Christmas. It is a Colt SAA Arizona Centenial. Best I can tell, there were 1280 made in 1963.
99.5% with display box in not so good condition. Appears to be unfired. Maybe unturned.
A couple of odd things:
All the pictures I have found of these guns show faux mother of pearl grips. Mine has the standard black Colt grips.
The serial number is 4## AC, but ther are no caliber markings on the gun.
I know that most commerative guns are not valued the same as a comparable gun in standard configuration, given the same overal condition.
I can?t post a picture from Imgur from my IPad, but below is a link.
Can someone provide an approximate value?
Also, do you think the grips have been changed? I think the black grips look much better.
https://imgur.com/gallery/9B7sX

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel sure that someone has replaced the grips at some point.
    Can't help with the value but it sure is pretty !
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grips and box, are going to be the big thing. With the folks who collect these guns. Unless you run across somebody, who has an original box and grips stashed. It would have comparable value, to a 2nd generation army. In similar condition.

On second thought, likely it would be worth more than a plan jane SAA. Some folks don't give a damm, about Centennials. But like flashy guns. I've heard the term used in the past. Referring to these guns, as being barbecue guns.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, factory commemoratives bring "book value" only when unhandled, unturned, & unblemished, with the original perfect packaging. Anything less, the value drops substantially.

I am pretty confident that your gun is chambered in .45LC. Maybe the caliber was omitted to match the Arizona frontier scout? I don't know.

Value is difficult to determine. Most folks who want to sell them usually don't want to start an auction at $.01, as they are afraid that the actual amount bid will be less than they paid. My SWAG is that, without original grips, your gun would sell for $1,000.

I've seen some grip manufacturers who will inset gold Colt medallions in their new grips. Might be worth looking into; you may be able to get a perfect substitute.

Neal
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    Looking closer at the grips, there is raised eagle and shield emblem near the butt.
    Regardless, Santa got an unfired Colt SAA for under $1K.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deal !!!!!!!!!!!