In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger American Ranch in 7.62X39

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a few questions regarding the Ruger American in 7.62X39 using the detach magazine.

I'll toss the plastic stock and buy wood from Boyds. The trigger guard is part of the plastic factory issue stock, what to do when switching to wood? Is there an aftermarket "trigger guard only" out there?

The mag release is plastic, would I be correct that a Mini 14 mag release would work as well? Speaking of magazines, I presume Ruger Mini 30 works best, any other brands work fine?

Thanks -

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure Boyd's can answer the trigger guard question. HS Precision's solution when they made a fiberglass stock for my 600 Remington in 458 (that splintered the factory laminated wood one) was to use a Remington 700 ADL trigger guard which worked like a champ.

As much as I despise aluminium on my guns it's better than plastic.

Ruger should be able to answer the mag release swap issue. I have 'filed out' by hand lots of replacement small parts. Now you could get one machined on a desk top CNC unit fairly easily.

I would choose Ruger and perhaps Mec-Gar if they make them for Ruger.

added The Boyd's solutions looks good.

Went to the range the other day with sis, niece and great niece to shoot sis's new S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. Had some issues - at home I showed them that the follower would hang up in the magazine and then how to de-burr the inside with a file and some sandpaper. Silky smooth action now - I'm sure on the next trip it will function correctly. IMHO all detachable magazines need at least inspected inside.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This inexpensive rifle isn't exactly staying as such - $150.00 for the stock, plus $22.50 for the trigger guard and about $20.00 for a metal mag release. I heard Boyds includes a plastic trigger guard, will wait & see.