In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1968 browning bar 308 grade 2 forearm

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
where can I come closest come closest to matching color and checkering for a bar grade 2 308 forearm the original has a crushed place the size of a quarter on the checkering,and I need to find a matching piece for the gun. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Donnie at Show-me Gunstocks (660) 438-4568.

You will need to send him the damaged wood to do a grain/color match.

You could also send it to Cecil Fredi for grain/color match of the wood and then send to Donnie for turning, finish and checkering.
    http://www.gunstockblanks.com/
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be possible to repair the damaged area. There are people out there who do amazing repair work to damaged wood stocks.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for see about a repair first. Steam the dent out and fix the checkering could be an option. Inlet a grain/color match section of new wood - then recut the checkering.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    There is a technique to cut out a plug of diamond shaped walnut the size of the damaged area, glue it in and checker the plug. If done by a person skilled at checkering the plug will be indiscernible from the rest of the pattern.

If you are interested in giving it a try yourself, raise the damaged checkering with a wet cloth and a steam iron.

Use a 20 LPI (I think that is 20 LPI) single line checkering tool to repoint the checkering. Finish with some Tru-Oil on a toothbrush.