In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dan Wesson 1911 Front Sight

Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a Dan Wesson Valor Commander and the front sight isn't working well for these old eyes. I would like to replace the front sight with something more visible to me like a fiber optic sight.
Can someone tell me who makes a good fiber optic front sight that will fit this Valor?
Or, does anyone know if sights made for other brands such as Kimber, SA, etc can be made to work on my Valor?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mechanical engineers have their moments.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps your tritium is wore out - service life is less than 30 years from DOM.

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/valor-commander/.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the front sight is dovetailed into the slide. It should be fairly simple to replace.

Caution though, before attempting to remove the original front sight. Some gunsmiths drill a vertical hole through the front sight into the slide. For a roll pin, To insure it's positive retention in the dovetail.

After removing the present front sight. Measure the dovetail size with a dial caliper.

After measuring the dovetail. Call up one of he customer service reps. At Brownells, to see what front sights they have in stock. To fit that specific dovetail.