In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 572 finish question

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up a 1971 572 Fieldmaster and noticed that the barrel looked a little strange in spots so I scrapped a small spot with my finger nail and it flaked a bit like a thin layer of clear coat.
Did the factory clear coat the barrels or is it more likely that someone coated it with something after the fact?
I'm thinking that I may wipe the barrel down (Not the receiver of course as it's painted) with some Acetone to remove the coating if it's not factory.
Can anyone tell me anything helpful?
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Helpful. maybe not, but I have had several of these and not any had what you say. Yours is an early one. Also I have had many firearms, older ones that people "coated" with something like that. I took it off carefully and never had any problems.
    One was a Jap Arisaka that was COMPLETELY covered in varnish. After some hours of work I had a 95% Arisaka that was nice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe that you are probably correct, the more I look at, the more I think its a very thin coat of varnish or BLO or lacquer.
    I took a Q-tip and a dab of Acetone under the barrel and it came off pretty easily.
    I'll strip it and then clean all the metal (non painted) parts.

Any ideas on how to get it off the painted receiver safely?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Formby's furniture stripper for wood; it's not as volatile as acetone, & not as dangerous to use. (Still, wear gloves & eye protection.)

For the receiver, you are on your own. We have no way of knowing what type of paint was used; just start with gently solvent & a nylon scrubber, get more aggressive if that doesn't work.

Reminds of the used Corvette for sale I looked at; previous owner had repainted it with latex house paint. I walked away, fiberglass is not very forgiving. But, neither is aluminum.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whatever is on the rifle is not paint per se, it is sort of a Carmel color on the q-tip and not black like a paint. I think that I clean the steel parts and leave the receiver alone. This "stuff" is not thick and is barely noticeable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I completely disassembled the rifle, cleaned all steel parts with Acetone, did a thorough cleaning of all internals and reassembled and ............ new gun. [:D]

All of whatever was on the rifle came off, turns out that stuff just kept the rifle in excellent condition.

Love a happy ending.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your receiver is original, it is likely anodized and not painted. I have an older 572 as well, but the receiver HAS been repainted because the anodizing has faded to purple and was scratched up. Just a thought for you...