In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Hells Canyon bolt action

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone out there with an opinion regarding the Browning Hells Canyon rifle.
It is one of several bolt rifles I am considering in the 6.5 or 6 creedmoor for 600m target shooting.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tone,

That whole X-Bolt series is something special for a factory rifle. They really done their homework on this one. The 6 Creed will have a little less recoil, than the 6.5, but the 6.5 has better bullets available for beating gravity, and the wind...IMHO. The difference in recoil will be negligible, but the 6.5 is a better round. If you wait a few months, it might become available in the 6.5 PRC, a new cartridge developed between Hornady, and GA Precision, from my understanding, developed on the Ruger Compact Magnum case, and Factory loads will be available from Hornady. It was expressly developed, as the Creed's were for the Precision Rifle Series, sniper competitions, as an across the course cartridge, but it also excels in on game, up to moose, performance...that is why I say 6.5.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You tsr1965.

I have considered other rifles for the task.
    The Browning is at the upper end of what I can spend.
    I like the looks of it.
    Plan to mount a Vortex Viper on whatever I end up buying.

If anyone has a negative opinion about a Hells Canyon I would appreciate reading what it is.
    Thank You
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have anything negative to say about the rifle per se, but I would ask you why you think it is the correct platform for target shooting at 600m? The Hells Canyon is a gun that is designed to be packed around all day in rough terrain and shot very little. I would think that you'd want something more in line with the Ruger Precision as a target platform.
    My 2 cents worth...
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to start with something. Some rifles shoot better than others no matter who made them or how much they cost. If you load for it you will likely squeeze out everything it has.

Ask about re-barreling issues for that action, you will be doing several in your lifetime if you shoot.

I vote for 6.5.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    Thank You tsr1965.

I have considered other rifles for the task.
    The Browning is at the upper end of what I can spend.
    I like the looks of it.
    Plan to mount a Vortex Viper on whatever I end up buying.

If anyone has a negative opinion about a Hells Canyon I would appreciate reading what it is.
    Thank You

Tone,

Just so you know, Northern Firearms on the Auction side, has about the best prices, and best selection of Browning's, and Coopers. Last year a buddy of mine got one of the Browning X-Bolts, Black Synthetic, in 6.5 Creed, out the door, shipped to the local FFL, for $519.00. That is a screaming deal. They are still around that price range. It shoots like a house a fire, for a factory rifle, definitely sub-MOA. From what I see, it is put together exactly like the Hells Canyon, except for the blued metal, and the camo stock.

It out shoots the Ruger Precision as a general rule, and if you want to build a custom rifle, I think Nononsense has used some of the X-Bolt's for custom builds. They take after the Surgeon 591 flat bottom actions, just not as bank vault beefy. However, it is surely not the same ball of wax as the earlier A-Bolt series...any of them, I, II, or III. The trigger is so crisp, even their sister division, Winchester, is using them in their XPR rifles.

There is absolutely no reason why a lighter walk about rifle, cannot be as accurate as a bench gun, if given the proper materials, and techniques to build it. You just don't sit there and run 50-100 rounds thru it, and heat up the barrel, is all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NeoBlackdog...
    I am not actually entering any mid range target competitions just me and a few buddies having fun.
    It may double as a hunting rifle if it happens to be a really comfortable fit for me.

Since there has not been any negative opinions I think Ill go ahead with a Hells Canyon in 6.5Creedmoor.

Thank you all for your valued input.