In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suppressor

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a predetor .22 can that does not come apart,what is the best stuff to use to clean it,and to use to shoot it wet

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello.
    I've been tossing the idea around
    about buying a 22handgun and suppressing it.
    When I get appvd by the ATF, can I
    build my own or do I have to buy
    a store bought can?
    Also:
    1. Can I use this suppressor legally
    on other guns?
    2. Once I'm appvd ,is the paperwork
    good for more than one can?
    Thanks
    Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the ATF approves a person to own a suppressor, can that person
    build his own suppressor? Thanks.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:>>If the ATF approves a person to own a suppressor, can that person build his own suppressor? Thanks.

Answering the question I think you want to ask. . .

If you want to build and possess your own suppressor LEGALLY, you have to do the paperwork and get approval from the BATFE *FIRST*, same as if you're buying one.

Part of the paperwork you fill out with the BATFE requires your local chief law enforcement officer ("CLEO"; eg the sheriff of your town) to sign off on your application.

So that's the individual who decides if an applicant can or can't have a suppressor, not so much the BATFE.

I think there is a way to bypass that step if the suppressor is owned by a corporation or trust, but this is a bit beyond my knowledge and I'll leave discussion to the many here who know more about it than I.

But bottom line, yes, if you're otherwise legally OK to own a suppressor you can also legally construct your own, following the same general tax stamp procedure as buying one.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making or buying the process is the same, it just depends on what form number you fill out.

If you are buying, the form has the identifier, etc. on it, your application and tax payment get sent off, when approved, the dealer transfers it to you and you can then take it home. Good dealers have attached shooting ranges so you can have "conjugal visits" with your suppressor while you wait for permission from the BATFE. :)

If you are building, you apply for a tax stamp using a different form. Send it off and wait, and when you get the stamp back THEN you can start building. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION STUFF WHEN IT COMES TO BUILDING YOUR OWN!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    ATF Form 1 with finger prints, photos, CLEO signoff and a $200 "making" tax (as opposed to transfer). Don't do anything until you have the approved form with the stamp.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you DIY on a Form 1, you'll need to have the basic plan for your suppressor. DIY on Form 1 is somewhat of a gamble that you can actually build something worth the $200 fee. "According to Hoyle" once you stamp/engrave the outer tube, you're stuck with it as that part isn't supposed to be changed. I'm comfortable with a Form 1 build for rim fire use but wouldn't DIY a centerfire can.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CLEO sign off is no longer required.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    The CLEO sign off is no longer required.

Bill is correct. The change from CLEO certification to CLEO notification is now shown on the current Form 1s. I've been typing the same NFA information for so many years that it is virtually automatic, so this change still takes some getting used to [:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. Thinking for a 22 lr.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If you DIY on a Form 1, you'll need to have the basic plan for your suppressor. DIY on Form 1 is somewhat of a gamble that you can actually build something worth the $200 fee. "According to Hoyle" once you stamp/engrave the outer tube, you're stuck with it as that part isn't supposed to be changed. I'm comfortable with a Form 1 build for rim fire use but wouldn't DIY a centerfire can.

I built my own and while filling out the Form 1 I used the form off the internet, DO NOT DO THIS. You must use the 2 sided form and you CAN NOT have a "basic plan". I filled out the form for an "approx 8 1/4" inch can. Form was sent back with notification they needed the exact dimensions.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " You must use the 2 sided form and you CAN NOT have a "basic plan". I filled out the form for an "approx 8 1/4" inch can. Form was sent back with notification they needed the exact dimensions."
    Please note that I said "basic plan"--this includes length and diameter vs "something long and round with a hole down the middle". You must also provide a "unique serial number".