In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 Grendal vs 6.5 Creedmore

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
How do they compare?...looking for a new rifle in this cartridge....also,how about the 6.5 X 55 that Blaser has?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grendal is based on the .223 brass, whereas the Creedmore is much larger. Using .308 platform. Only thing similar, is the bullet diameter in both cartridges.

Creedmore with the larger powder capacity. Is renowned, for long range target shooting. Grendal would be, for up close and personal work.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Grendal is based on the .223 brass,

Uh, no.
    Grendel is a variant of the 6mm PPC necked up and shortened to fit the AR magazine. Case head diameter is the same as .220 Russian or 7.62x39
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Grendal is based on the .223 brass,

Uh, no.
    Grendel is a variant of the 6mm PPC necked up and shortened to fit the AR magazine. Case head diameter is the same as .220 Russian or 7.62x39

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    How do they compare?...looking for a new rifle in this cartridge....also,how about the 6.5 X 55 that Blaser has?

The 6.5 Grendel is based on the multiple massaged 7.62x39 case. It started life as that then the .220 Russian, that got morphed into the 6mm PPC and the 6.5 PPC. The final iteration is a blown out and steeper shouldered 6.5 PPC.

You can attain up to 2700 fps with the right powder (XMR 8208 XBR) and and optimized barrel with a 123 gr. bullet. It will fit in an AR-15 platform

The 6.5 Creedmoor is based off of the Rem .30 TC (not the .30 Rem), which pretty much amounts to about a Savage .250 case necked to 6.5mm and improved. It has a 30 deg. shoulder, and is .454" at the shoulder. It holds about one grain less water than a .260 Rem due to it's improvement.

The 6.5 Creed will shoot a 140 gr. bullet at 2800 fps as it holds about ten more grains of powder. Although I launch mine at 2700 fps. It will fit in a -10 AR platform but not a -15 platform.

FWIW, with either of these cases it would be wise to figure out how you are going to get it to feed. The 6.5 Creed will feed in a centerfeed magazine, but not with a lot of rounds. The variance in geometry of the case is enough to give space around the rims.
    With the 6.5G, get the 6.5 mags made by C-products and they will fit in an AR-15 without issue.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like all the 6.5mm from the 256 Newton on down, a mag case full of powder needs to be 7mm if you want any barrel life IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys I'm looking for new hunting rifle, bolt preferred...Thanks
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't speak on the first two, but have loaded for 6.5x55 for 30+ years and it's never failed to perform on any game I've used it for.
    Some might argue, but. While the ballistic coefficient helps the 6.5/264 caliber shine I believe its the sectional density that lends more towards its performance. Just getting a bullet there does nothing if it isn't going to penetrate, and penetration is where those long thin bullets shine.

And as a side note. The best way to realize the potential of the 6.5x55 is to reload for a rifle strong enough to handle pressures greater than big three factory ammo generates. That or shoot imported (PRVI, Norma to name two) ammo loaded to European specs.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1

6.5 Creed is your answer then. I just got the girlfriend a Kimber Hunter 84M. It is a petite little rifle, with a scaled down Hybrid Model 70 type action, and tips in at 5.5 pounds without the scope, and has a 22 inch barrel. It has a 1 in 8 twist, so you can load the 140 VLD's with no problem. It is detachable magazine fed.

Its just a suggestion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

6.5 Creed is your answer then. I just got the girlfriend a Kimber Hunter 84M. It is a petite little rifle, with a scaled down Hybrid Model 70 type action, and tips in at 5.5 pounds without the scope, and has a 22 inch barrel. It has a 1 in 8 twist, so you can load the 140 VLD's with no problem. It is detachable magazine fed.

Its just a suggestion.
    ...so in your opinion its better than the Grendal?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Guys I'm looking for new hunting rifle, bolt preferred...Thanks"
    If a bolt action is your chosen platform, then I'd suggest NEITHER.
    The Grendel is simply massaged to the max level the AR 15 will accept and there are several established cartridges that offer all the 6.5 C can provide. Neither will upstage the 6.5x55 IF you handload it to the upper limits of a modern action.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are hunting and the ranges you will be shooting. The additional powder capacity of the Creedmoor will allow higher velocities and subsequently greater energy. My experience with Creedmoor on whitetail deer and hogs up to 300# has been excellent, comparable to results from a 270 Winchester. I have killed these critters out to about 300 yards and would not hesitate to shoot out to 400-500 on deer size game.

I haven't built a Grendal AR yet but I plan to. For my hunting purposes in NC, SC and Alabama, I will carry it in locations that shot distances will be no more than about 150-200 yards. (mostly because the gun will be set up for shorter range)

The 6.5 X 55 is a great cartridge I was debating between it and the Creedmoor when I bought my first Ceedmoor. I have bought another Creedmoor and built 2 on the AR 10 platform since. I will still probably own Swede at some point because I tend to want at least one of everything.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 Creedmoor is the current hot item and will last until somebody finds a way to advertise a different shape 6.5 Something.

6.5 Grendel is shoehorned into an AR.

6.5 Swede is loaded for 19th century rifles and you end up in the "(over)loads for modern actions" game.

I am a sentimental traditionalist and might well have a .256 Newton barrel put on a pre-bubbaed Springfield or Mauser. But I am not recommending that for general consumption.