In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

US "Patent" Firearms

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
USFA single action revolvers are pretty well known and not cheap. Especially the Bisley model, I see them floating around for about $3K or more. I don't see them actually selling until around $2,500.00 or that's where the bidding sort of peters out and the gun is relisted. Asking and selling price for the USFA revolvers seems out of line with the BB price. A result of good quality and being out of business?

Until 1997 the current USFA was known as the "US 'Patent' Firearms Mfg Co" and I'm interested to know if there's any difference in quality or value. I seem to recall a "used Uberti parts" era and/or that USFA was housed in the old Colt factory, or bought & used Colt's older machinery?

I'm poking around a Bisley model with a 5 1/2" barrel NIB - been sitting in a mostly "tacticool" type gun store for a few years with no one interested in it.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure about the "Uberti parts era", but I do know that if there was anything better than the Colt SAA, this was it. High attention to detail, and tighter tolerances, along with master craftsmen putting them together.

They were in fact the manufacturer that Doug Turnbull used to turn out his single actions with. I think a price that is flirting with that of the Colt's is not out of line...kinda like Freedom Arms...while their revolvers are not a direct copy of the SAA, they are the best revolver on the planet.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for everything else under the sun. Value/selling price is based on demand.

If the bidding price on the auctions, tops out at $2,500 at this point in time. That is what they are worth, at this point in time.

With the advent of the gun auctions, on the net in the late 90's. The old times, that you could pick up a sleeper in a gun store disappeared.

Take some screen shots of the actual bidding prices, of the USFA revolvers on GunBroker. Show it to your tacticool guy. Make him a realistic offer, based on these bids.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Early USFA's did use Uberti parts. They're stamped "Uberti" on the bottom of the barrel near the cylinder.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Early USFA's did use Uberti parts. They're stamped "Uberti" on the bottom of the barrel near the cylinder.

No "Uberti" anywhere on the gun, I did look for that. Although IIRC the Italians may have hidden them under the ejector rod housing. I took a chance and for the $1,200.00 asking price bought it. It's got the box, anti-rust paper and sales docs so how bad a deal could it be?

Can't pick the darn thing up until March - CA "1 in 30" BS on new handguns and I've already got a CZ RAMI & a Cimarron in 32.20 up first.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

No "Uberti" anywhere on the gun, I did look for that. Although IIRC the Italians may have hidden them under the ejector rod housing. I took a chance and for the $1,200.00 asking price bought it. It's got the box, anti-rust paper and sales docs so how bad a deal could it be.

Can't pick the darn thing up until March - CA "1 in 30" BS on new handguns and I've already got a CZ RAMI & a Cimarron in 32.20 up first.

I guess you proved me wrong on my previous comments. Regarding "sleepers", being a thing of the past.

Obviously Tacticool guy, wasn't doing his homework. Selling you a $2500 Bisley, for half the price, there selling for on the auction.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say you did very well price wise. I think that factory Colt tooling was moved more than once.

One of my neighbors "Curly" an X Navy Seal, was at one time 3rd in the country quick draw SASS guy?, liked some of the Pietta parts fitted into the Uberti (could be the other way around - it has been over 10 years).

Wax bullets propelled by shotgun primers never excited me.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Douglas, glad to see you got a steal on a nice piece. It is worth waiting until March to get it, but oh...the anticipation.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember George Gobel once said "I feel like a pair of brown shoes in a world of blue suits". I suppose one would have to be old enough to remember when the two didn't match, and remember George, to get it. This gun was practically hidden, bottom shelf left and behind a metal partition, and when I asked to look at it the kid had an "are you sure - this gun?" look on his face.

To each his own, I'm glad the younger crowd missed it.[:D]