In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vacuum Seal Ammo ?

Sparky55Sparky55 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
If a person were to vacuum seal ammo would it go off after you took it out of the vacuum sealed bag if all of the air (oxygen) was absent from the inside of the cartridge?

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think any home or even commercial vacuum sealer could extract all the oxygen from around the ammo let alone inside the shells. maybe theoretically it could.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunpowder and priming compound have their own oxidizer, and don't require atmospheric oxygen.. That's why you can fire underwater, or in a vacuum..
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Hangfire said, no problem.
    for the last couple of winters I've been shooting vacuum sealed ammo(stored that way since the beginning of the "Reign of Zero")
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vacuum seal my ammo for storage by filling ammo cans and leaving them in the sun with the lids open. After the can heats up, I close it and bring it inside. When the can cools, it will be vacuum sealed provided you have a gasket in the lid. I?ve been doing that for decades and never had a problem.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both black powder and smokeless powder have stored chemically in their molecules their own oxidizer. Does not need atmospheric oxygen.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Both black powder and smokeless powder have stored chemically in their molecules their own oxidizer. Does not need atmospheric oxygen.

Yup. I saw that also in an answer to the question of whether a standard cartridge and gun would function in outer space. The answer is, "Yes". In fact, try to imagine bullet performance without gravity or air drag. [:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sparky55
    If a person were to vacuum seal ammo would it go off after you took it out of the vacuum sealed bag if all of the air (oxygen) was absent from the inside of the cartridge?

Obviously, ammo isn't going to go off by itself if its sitting in a sealed container.

The answer to your question is that once you took it out of the container it would fire fine with no issue whatsoever. (Btw, the "spam" can ammo typically is vacuum sealed; obviously that works fine.

The reason is that the gunpowder itself contains, in dry chemical form, all the oxygen necessary for the gunpowder to combust.

A standard cartridge will fire fine underwater, or even in the vacuum of space.