In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 410 pump Question

bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Does the browning 410 pump shotgun with screw in chokes have a back bored barrel? I know some of browning shotguns do. I also was wondering do they have a tighter pattern than some of the older fixed full choke 410's.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would ask Browning about the back boring.

Chokes are an interesting subject. The original definition was based on actual performance, % of the shot in a 30" circle at 40 yards for a given load (shot size, type, wad, cartridge length ...). Then it sort of got standardized on the amount of construction for that gauge - that yielded on average the definition results.

The load has change over the years. In the old days it was card wads. Then the plastic wads which protect/cushion the shot better so they shoot tighter patterns than the constriction would indicate. Now its steel or some other tougher than lead shot that deforms even less so it shoots even smaller patterns for that same amount of constriction. I think new guns made for steel shot have less constriction to actually pattern closer to the definition.

I think back in the old days it would be rare to find anything tighter than full. Now there is turkey - extra full, super ... which could put more % of the shot in the circle. Generally the more constriction the tighter the pattern. Big shot like OO can play differently.

The real answer is to pattern your load in your gun.
  • Options
    0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that Browning's back bored shotguns use invector plus tubes.
    I think the 410 uses regular invector tubes.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got my 410 BPS last week. Browning was the only company I found that offered interchangeable chokes on a 410.

Reading the Browning website, the 12 and 20 are backbored with Invector Plus chokes tube. The 28 and 410 are not.

From their site:

Back-boring reduces friction between the shot cup and the bore for increased shot pellet velocity, minimized pellet deformity for more uniform patterns and reduced felt recoil. It is standard on A5, Maxus, BT-99 and on 12 and 20 gauge Citori, Cynergy, BPS and Silver models.

12 and 20 gauge BPS shotguns feature Back-Bored Technology.

12 and 20 gauge BPS shotguns include the interchangeable Invector-Plus? choke tube system. 28 gauge and .410 bore BPS shotguns include the Standard Invector? system.