In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 30, 7.62 x 39, or Auto Ord. M-1 30 carbine

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Looking for reccomendations on one or the other of these rifles. New, they are about the same $$$$. Accuracy, reliability? This is just to take to the rock pit, and take care of my frustrations Ammo cost is a minor consideration. THX

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to shoot and I really like hitting what I'm aiming at vs spray and pray and maybe I hit something sometimes. I reload my ammo because it the the best there is for that firearm. It also happens to usually be cheaper and it's always in stock.

I never liked the 30 Carbine, cartridge or rifle but I have loaded lots for other people. I don't recall ever loading for the rusky but I did help a few people set up their stuff.

A stainless steel mini 30 gets my vote.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The weight classes are pretty far apart.

The 7.62x39 is a medium power round, suitable for medium game, including deer. .30 carbine is really a pistol round, equivalent to the .357 mag; great plinker & personal defense gun, but that's all.

If I were buying an M1 carbine, I would look for a USGI. Not keen on buying from Rev Moon. (Auto Ord name belongs to Kahr, which is owned by the Moonies.) But, that's just me.

At least with the Ruger, the factory stands behind the gun, for just about forever.

Neal
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My USGI M1 carbine is my absolute favorite plinker. The Mini-30 is a decent rifle but not one of my favorites. If all you want to do is plink, get the M1.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M-1 Carbine IS A LOT OF FUN TO SHOOT. Low recoil, high capacity magazines and good for women and youngsters. The 7.62x39 cartridge moves you up to a more powerful level. But ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for the 7.62x39. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and the round can do anything the .30 carbine round can do, and more. [:)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,070 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know what you get with the Mini-30. I've been told by my local gunshop the .30 carbine (depending on the maker) it's a hit or a miss. I think dude said Inland (that's a maker right?) was making crap these days. I also recall dude said there's just another shop making the M1s. If you're dead set on "new" M1 I'd see before buying.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Go for the 7.62x39. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and the round can do anything the .30 carbine round can do, and more. [:)]

Having both - I vote 7.62x39
    Same reasons
    M1 is a fun shooter though.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the M1 Carbine, and though Auto Ord. is run by Rev. Moons son, they make one of the better carbine reproductions. Very decent carbines and will run you less than almost all of the original USGI carbines.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For your purposes, the ammunition in 7.62x39 will be less expensive. So, that chooses the Mini 30 for you. However if you want the very most in reliability, and decent accuracy(as good as the mini-30, and Mini-14 platforms), then if it is legal in your state, I would go with an AK-47 type platform. My favorites are the milled receiver's, like an SLR 95, or a good American made one...they just seem to be more accurate than the stamped receiver models, which are just as accurate as the Mini 30.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1 Carbine for historical purposes, and not a lot of shooting (carbine ammo has gotten expensive lately from the few times I've looked out of curiosity), and future collectible value

The Ruger for lots of shooting 762x39 isn't as cheap as it used to be but it is still pretty cheap.