In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5/06 Cases

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of a source for the afore mentioned brass? I checked on GB, with no joy. I also checked at Graf & Sons, and Midway. Both listed it, but both showed out of stock.

I am aware that I can make it from 25/06 or 270 cases, but I would prefer correctly head stamped ammunition.

TIA for any help.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 25-06 brass. the 270 is longer and needs to be trimmed.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No clue. Dad and I made lots of 256 Newton out of 57 NM brass.

I mark the boxes for my ammo. I try and return the spent exactly where it came from - makes it easier to keep track of the # of loadings.

There are/were others like these guys.
    http://www.qual-cart.com/Custom Headstamp.htm
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie's link was the company that came to mind.. You could put your name on the backorder list,

http://www.qual-cart.com/264 cal.htm

or try contacting individual dealers to check their stock..

http://www.qual-cart.com/dealer.htm
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler makes the brass and has loaded ammunition:

6.5-06 A-Square

6.5-06 A-Square 100 Grain
    6.5-06 A-Square 120 Grain
    6.5-06 A-Square 123 / 125 Grain
    6.5-06 A-Square 129 / 130 Grain
    6.5-06 A-Square 140 / 142 Grain

They are out of stock on the brass only.

Bertram makes the cases also but they are showing out of stock everywhere I checked.

While you might prefer having the proper headstamp, you might be out of luck, at least for the near future. Call Nosler and get an ETA on the brass supply.

Best.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I acquired the .270 Gibbs I explored several possibilities

Included with the gun was an old school refrigerator sourced motor / compressor that had been modified to reform brass cases (pressure form instead of fire form???)

Included with the gun were hand illustrated instructions on using the gun to fire form brass

Both methods had notes recommending the use of GI National Match .30-06 once fired empty cases

The gun was accompanied by a small batch of handloads and a small batch of pre-formed empty cases

After trying out some usually reliable sources to obtain cases with no luck I discovered Grayback / Greyback (spelling???) Wildcats - Mike from Grayback wildcats was able to supply me with correctly head stamped and correctly formed brass cases

The gunshop later used him for several variation wildcats from Ross and Gibbs and Newton...

If Mike and/or Grayback wildcats is still offering this and other services I strongly recommend contacting him and trying him out

My interaction with him was positive - customer service was great - and the product was flawless

I used some of the brass to assemble my own standard target /match level handloads on a single stage press - I set some aside for future use - and sent the rest to Larry at superior ammunition.

I had a pile of correspondence between Rocky Gibbs and the rifles owner (Rocky built the gun for him) that provides load data for a wide range of uses (the gun was commissioned with 3 stocks - a hunting style - a target style - and a heavy bench rest style)

I selected 10 of the loads / recipes provided by Gibbs and based on that data Superior Ammunition loaded some ammo for me for range trials

The one that stands out in my mind was the 90 grain Speer spire points that hit the 4500 fps mark on the chronograph

I layer down a supply of monolithic solids from Barnes for future testing and shooting (I am concerned that a full metal jacket projectile clocked above 4250 fps might experience jacket failure)

Mike