In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DRILLING EXPERTS

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Thoughts on this. Some pics are dark having trouble with camera.. Any ideas about how old this is and what it should sell for ?

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/746751583

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos are way to dark to discern any detail. To get top dollar, your going to have to have, way better pics.

Peine is a town in central Germany, east of the city of Hanover. Couldn't find the maker though in my reference.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been shooting them since 14 yrs old, 70 yrs old now. Looks to me like a
    worked over ( blue and wood) typical WW 2 bring back. Basically such
    a drilling $1500 . With scope $3000 . I dont care for the safety and selector
    on this drilling. Of course you know it will be a 16 ga 2/1/2 inch shell.
    9.3 x72 is a hard cartridge to get bullet selection , (.366) also brass is expensive
    dies even more so. Always do a bore/land measurement on a 9.3 they vary
    widely all the way down to .360/.358 . My opinion No reason to go there , turn of the century weak cartridge. Look for 8x57 jr. . All this is my own personal opinion.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    too high price for what you get PASS
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The under lever/forend type of action is much less complicated to make and less expensive than the more traditional top lever bolting action.
    This piece is in very nice condition (even if refinished??) but the starting price is WAY too high.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    Been shooting them since 14 yrs old, 70 yrs old now. Looks to me like a
    worked over ( blue and wood) typical WW 2 bring back. Basically such
    a drilling $1500 . With scope $3000 . I dont care for the safety and selector
    on this drilling. Of course you know it will be a 16 ga 2/1/2 inch shell.
    9.3 x72 is a hard cartridge to get bullet selection , (.366) also brass is expensive
    dies even more so. Always do a bore/land measurement on a 9.3 they vary
    widely all the way down to .360/.358 . My opinion No reason to go there , turn of the century weak cartridge. Look for 8x57 jr. . All this is my own personal opinion.

You say you have been shooting them drillings and or rifle shotgun combos for several years.

In your experience: What is the average scoped gun accuracy (5 shot accuracy from a bench rest) of a drilling or rifle/shotgun at 100 yards?
    Reason I ask is seems to me that maybe most drillings are made for the rifle to be used at close range and not really designed for 100 yard accuracy. (when I say 100 yard accuracy for a hunting rifle is around 1 1/2 inch or less groups from a drilling or rifle/shotgun combo at 100 yards)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost bought a 16x16 22 HP back in the 70's (a JP Sauer IIRC). It was iron sight and would do 1" groups with handloads. I didn't mind the .228 but I never could get on board with a 16.

I think its a lot easier to lower your price that to raise it. However I agree that is way more than you are likely to get any time soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Photos are way to dark to discern any detail. To get top dollar, your going to have to have, way better pics.

Peine is a town in central Germany, east of the city of Hanover. Couldn't find the maker though in my reference.

and when I see pictures of anything for sale and the pic's posted are dark I suspect details are being purposely hidden.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I almost bought a 16x16 22 HP back in the 70's (a JP Sauer IIRC). It was iron sight and would do 1" groups with handloads. I didn't mind the .228 but I never could get on board with a 16.

I think its a lot easier to lower your price that to raise it. However I agree that is way more than you are likely to get any time soon.

I had a chance to buy a drilling sometime back, very reasonably priced, 16 gauge double with the rifle barrel caliber in the vicinity of something like a 308, iron sights but had provision for some type of claw mounts for a scope, nice looking gun, but I never could get past the 16 ga. I have all kinds of shotgun shells and owned 410, 20, 12, 10 except 16 ga. and I require that a gun (rifle) be useable and accurate, not just too ONLY admire.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer questions on drilling accuracy and 16 gauge. Every gun no mater what the type is a law unto itself. Bullet type, powder, all components control the result.
    In general a drilling has many basic features desirable for accuracy. The rifle barrel is
    attached to two shot barrels in a strong vibration free triangular fashion. But as such
    repeated firing with heat will temporary distort this arrangement. For,the most part this is not a hunting situation. Most drillings offer a set trigger. Drilling iron/apeture sights front to
    rear are set far apart at nearly 28inches. A desirable festure. Most drillings have the
    balance of a fine double shot gun and result in good off hand feel,and stready hold.
    Surprisingly drilling detachable scope mounts ( if functioning correctly) offer very good
    return to zero . I have one drilling 22 hornet (sleeved down from 9.3 72r that will
    group into 1 in shot to shot @ 100 yd detaching and returning the scope on each
    shot. The 16 gauge is the perfect "square" load @1 oz , if loaded correctly
    it hits like a 12 carries light like a 20. Most drillings are choke set to fire a
    brenneke slug from the right barrel very close to the rifle sights. All drilliings
    can accept a sub caliber rifle insert in either of the shot barrels.
    I only caution one major drawback to a drilling....You will leave all your other
    specific purpose rifles and specific purpose shotguns back in the cabinet
    and take a do all drilling afield.