In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

drillingTAKE two

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
i just saw the post on drilling type fire arms and accuracy
I don't have a 3 barrel firearm the most common type called a drilling
But I do have a pair of VALMET MODEL 412 2 barrel guns' they come with 3 different configuration by changing the barrel set I have one set that has one shotgun barrel with one rifle barrel also another barrel set that has 2 shotgun barrels and a third set that has 2 Rifle barrels.
the two shotgun set has choke tubes in each barrel what ever you want
the set with one 243 and one shot barrel 12 gauge with tubes will shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards smaller than one inch
the 30/06 12gauge set will shoot 5 shot groups a right at one inch the barrel set with 9.3X74 R I have not shot many 5 shot groups but just zeroed because of recoil and cost of ammo . The big advantage
age of this type of firearm is that you can adjust each barrel POI one at a time most drillings only adjust POI with the scope it self and this changes both barrels [:(]I have have a barrel set with 2 riflebarrels but as I dont hunt dangerous game I have never used the 30/06 30/06 set

with a drilling one has to play with ammo and bullet weight to see what is the best to give you for group size [:(]
I

Comments

• Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    valmet combination firearms and a few others like Zoli are a lot more robust
    and user friendly (regulating) than a typical pre 1950 drilling. This is due to the
    fact they are modern production, and having only one shot barrel is of little
    disadvantage. Some even have thread in chokes which is unattainable in a
    older drilling. Scope detachment is a little more involved yet returns to zero
    as well as a drilling. The only major difference is a well made drilling has a lot
    of specialized gun making, engraving , and increases in value is a greater
    proportion than a valmet.None of this reflects on drilling performance
    afield. For a brief period drillings were doubling in value
    every 3 years, and new drillings were increasing in price proportionally.
    What we need is a major US firearms manufacturer to produce a modern
    reasonable combination firearm. Use of todays carbon graphite sleeved
    stainless rifled liner, synthetic stock , multiple detachable scopes
    as well a refective rear sight. But you can bet such a proposal
    would never make it past the board room. It would result in loss of
    sales of specific firearms which every manufacturer wishes we were
    to fill our gun cabinets.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    valmet combination firearms and a few others like Zoli are a lot more robust
    and user friendly (regulating) than a typical pre 1950 drilling. This is due to the
    fact they are modern production, and having only one shot barrel is of little
    disadvantage. Some even have thread in chokes which is unattainable in a
    older drilling. Scope detachment is a little more involved yet returns to zero
    as well as a drilling. The only major difference is a well made drilling has a lot
    of specialized gun making, engraving , and increases in value is a greater
    proportion than a valmet.None of this reflects on drilling performance
    afield. For a brief period drillings were doubling in value
    every 3 years, and new drillings were increasing in price proportionally.
    What we need is a major US firearms manufacturer to produce a modern
    reasonable combination firearm. Use of todays carbon graphite epoxy sleeved
    stainless rifled liner (laser regulated before epoxy sets), synthetic stock , multiple detachable scopes
    as well a refective rear sight. But you can bet such a proposal
    would never make it past the board room. It would result in loss of
    sales of specific firearms which every manufacturer wishes we were
    to fill our gun cabinets.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at the small 5 axis CNC machines. I down loaded the free AutoCad software (I did take a class in that almost 30 years ago - wow time flies). I think it would fun to do a ferling (4 barrel, sorry my last German was even longer back).

2 triggers with selectors, safety in center position. Perhaps a central shaft that the barrel assembly slides and rotates on, which would allow locking on the forward end of the shaft plus in the receiver. Auto lifters at full extension on the slide.

3" 20 gauge or maybe a 3.5" 12 gauge, 7mm Rem Mag, 22 LR, 460 S&W

Lots of titanium to hold down the weight

added Hi Karl. Yes regulation can be an issue. We built a set screw adjustable front jig for the double rifle. When dialed in with the load a final piece was machined to fit the exact spacing. I think most people expect the point of aim to be the point of impact at distance X. I prefer the point of impact to be the offset by exactly what it is at the breach - so if I'm on the left barrel I aim just a little to right. Later the rifle came apart when they insisted on hopping up the 45-70 loads.

left selector left trigger forward Upper middle Safe rear Lower
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a German drilling brought back from WWII,16ga over 8x58R.I looked for ammo years ago and all i could find was Danish Krag,i was thinking this was a Sauer round,are they different ? The shotgun barrels have nitro stamped on them so low brass shells should be ok right ? I would like to fire it sometime but i lost the front sight blade sometime it looks like it just fell out,wish i knew where to get another.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Condition is everything. The maker is important too. I'd want a chamber cast to see what the rifle actually is. The shotgun likely doesn't have 2.75" chambers. You should have someone knowledgeable evaluate it.

Real gunsmiths could make a front sight blade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8×58mmR_Danish_Krag

see the warning about the 8x58mmR German cartridge.

There should be lots of other marks. Inspect carefully with a hand lens.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per Cartridges of the World, the 8X58mm Sauer is an obsolete blackpowder cartridge based on the 9.3X72R case. It can be loaded with smokeless powder and .318 diameter bullets. Power is about the same as the 32-40 WCF. The Danish / Krag cartridge is a much more powerful cartridge. Be aware that your 16 Gauge is probably chambered for the European 2 1/2 inch shell. They are available in the U.S. If you are handy it should be possible to make some sort of front sight that would be usable, even if made of wood.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello MR C MEYER the four barrel guns are really hard to get all four barrels to shoot at the point of impact where you want it to shoot most likely you will have to get a paper with notes such as barrel one is right on where the sights point barrel two 3 inch high at 50 yards windage is ok barrel 3 is two inches to the left at 40 yards elevation 4 inches high barrel 4 is 5inches low and 2 inchesto the right

Now another note to show you what trigger fires what barrel I had to give up trying to remember what trigger shot what barrel . I did put double triggers in my Valmet so it is just like most Double barrel shoot guns but of course I am not the sharpest Knife in the rack