In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 wylde?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a barrel marked .223 wylde. can I shoot .223 and .556 safetly from this barrel? and can you explain the .223 wylde thing to me, thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How does the .223 Wylde chambering differ from the .223 Sammi or 5.56 Mil. Spec. as it relates to the AR-15?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, all I needed.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a reminder, Wikipedia is not always your friend or the expert resource we would all like to quote and refer to, especially when it comes to areas such as firearms and ammunition. I don't believe this is the case here as the information is basically sound albeit a little scanty in technical description.

Like 'youtube', anyone can contribute to Wikipedia without having any direct knowledge or expertise in the area they choose to write about. It's an ego boost to have article or videos published by these sources. The articles are read at some point and questions asked but sometimes improper information gets out anyway.

Always double check your source and the viability of the information supplied.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an answer to the original poster, Yes, you can shoot 223 Remington, and 5.56 NATO in the 223 Wylde chamber.

A lot of the factory heavy predator, or varmint barrels, from several manufacturers have this chamber...Rock River, STAG, Bushmaster, to name a few. It is closest described as the NATO chamber with a reduced lead angle, to aid in getting the projectile started in the rifling, without upsetting it, thus increasing accuracy. I have a couple of AR's in my arsenal, that have good, 16" cut(5R) rifling barrels, with this chamber, and one would be hard pressed to outshoot them with a well dressed bolt gun.

TSR