In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1892 Winchester 32-20

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
I recently came across a 1892 Winchester 32 20on line that had special options of two triggers and a Schuetzen Butt plate. It is rare for me to see the Schuetzen Butt Plate except on the high grade guns. There is no letter to support anything and as I have found is not available on every gun. The seller did indicate the receiver, Butt Stock and Butt Plate all had the number 26 on them and that would be proof the Schuetzen butt plate is correct. Would that be correct?
I have no intention of buying this gun but just want to expand my knowledge on options I do not normally see.

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/748029619

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The hammer does not hold on half cock though and might need adjustment." Interesting. I never had a chance to work on a their DST and have only had hands on a few of the rifles so equipped.

Looking forward to Burt's review.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello dodge69,

The original production ledgers for the Model 1892 only exist up to SN 379999. From this information Factory Letters are created. Therefore at SN 45706x there is no information to prove that the current configuration is factory original. That rifle was just sold back in September from Redding Auction as their lot #98R. The receiver looks to have been re-blued at some time. It also looks as if both the hammer and lever were blued at the same time and they should instead have a case color finish on them. The combination of set triggers and the butt plate is not out of the question. The "26" stamped on the pieces are "assembly numbers" but again, they do not look quite right. My impression is that the butt stock may not be original to the gun.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That Model 1892 does not have a "Schuetzen" butt plate. It is a Swiss butt plate, and there is a difference between them.

In viewing the auction listing pictures of that rifle, I see several issues of concern that indicate that it is no longer factory original.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More years ago than I care to remember, I had an old-timer neighbor who was an avid hunter. Somehow,he had, years before I met him,almost totally lost the use of his left arm making it very difficult for him to hold and aim a normal long gun. He had several guns that had been adapted in various ways to make it a bit easier for him. One was a Winchester Model 1894 he had special ordered from the factory with a butt stock and butt plate that were built to his specifications. The butt plate had long ears that extended above and below his shoulder and held the gun in place when he worked the lever. Now THAT was a true special order!!
  • dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real problem I find with trying to improve on my collection of Winchesters Is the lack of proof that a gun was special ordered or something is out of the ordinary but could be right for the gun. In this case I did find in my red book the 92 could have a Swiss stock but I really did not know the difference between a Swiss and a Schuetzen, and the matching numbers on the parts was something I had not seen. I also see a few things that told me the gun was not original, never have put much faith in "I was told this or that" but I have never owned a Winchester with a Swiss but plate wanted to know more about that.
    Thanks everybody I appreciate the help.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dodge69
    The real problem I find with trying to improve on my collection of Winchesters Is the lack of proof that a gun was special ordered or something is out of the ordinary but could be right for the gun. In this case I did find in my red book the 92 could have a Swiss stock but I really did not know the difference between a Swiss and a Schuetzen, and the matching numbers on the parts was something I had not seen. I also see a few things that told me the gun was not original, never have put much faith in "I was told this or that" but I have never owned a Winchester with a Swiss but plate wanted to know more about that.
    Thanks everybody I appreciate the help.

Look at the section in the Red Book that shows the Model 1885 Schuetzen Rifles... there you will see what a true Schuetzen butt plate looks like. In regards to the Model 1892, as soon as I see one thing that is out of place, the entire rifle becomes suspect, and that is the case with that rifle.
  • dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, the only rifle I have every had in my hands that looked anything like the 1885's listed in the Red Book is the second Variation. No scope. A friend collector, a 86 collector, has owned it twice and sold it to the same guy twice. Last time it went back on a $ 5,000 loan. I am waiting for it to come back again and maybe neither one will see it again. It would be easy to see why there would be some confusion as to what the butt plate really is to the untrained eye.
    I have a 32 40 with a number 3 barrel and I need my shooting brace to hold it up. I now have five 85's , two high walls and 3 low walls.