In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help choosing turkey gun...

rayl380rayl380 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm gearing up for turkey hunting - settled on a Rem 870 (I've owned several) but do I want the 20" barrel w/ Super Full choke and Tru-Glo sights, the 23" barrel w/ Super Full and scope, or the 23" w/ Super Full and Extra Full and double bead sights? The spring hunt here (Wis) is mostly stationary calling and the fall hunt is hiking and stalking. Is the scope worthwhile? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself the 23" SPS-T Super Magnum, then you can shoot all 3 lengths, I have an 11-87 SPS-T Super Magnum and it is dreamy....you can tailor your load to your situation, if they don't come in close, use the 3 1/2 and if you can sneak up on them use the 2 3/4....you'll be happy you did, and don't worry, you shouldn't need a scope, mine had a Gilmore on it when I bought it, but I took it off, I didn't need it.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.comMember ~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    rayl380rayl380 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply - I failed to mention all three shotguns I'm considering are variations of the SPS so they can all shoot all three loads. Did you not like the scope or just not need it for your typical hunting conditions?
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it seemed like I was faster on target with out it, I wear glasses so I was much fater to target with out the scope, but it was an excellent scope.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.comMember ~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just stirin the pot alittle, however I love all 3 of my 835's did I mention that additional barrel's slug etc. are much cheaper also!!Just my opinion
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have yet to take my 835 on a hunt. I got a sweet deal on it and I picked up some extra chokes. Everyone that has owned an 835 that I've spoken with has said good things about it. However, my old boss had one and he didn't like it one bit.
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray, you did say you wanted a turkey gun!!Then why are you even playing with a 12 ga. step up to the world of 10 ga. and be done with it. I just went through this myself, I went with a browning bps camo in 10 ga. why you ask because I already have a o/u 20,rem 1000 in 12, and a mossy 500 in 12 also but they just did not meet the need for power. I had been using my brothers mossy 835 ulti-mag but he moved so I needed my own
    "The Constitution of most of our states(and the United States)asserts that all power is inherent in the people;that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."--Thomas Jefferson--
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uhhh that should be rem 1100!!!!!!!!!!!Ps: the 10 has a 26" barrel with vector chokes.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richie Rich had a good point about extra killing power with the BPS. I had one until recently, and used it for turkeys and geese--awsome range and killing power! Why did I sell it? Because I short-shucked it when wearing heavy clothing, AND it is HEAVY. Not a piece that you will want to carry all day. Have gone to a Benelli Nova 3 1/2" 12, despite the noisy foreend.