In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Converting Perc Revolvers to Cartridge

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if it is illegal or require a license to convert percussion repro revolvers to fire cartridge, such as .22RF? Any info appreciated. Robert

Comments

• PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They used to be a company sold a kit to convert a .36 revolver to fire 38 S&W. My brain must be really drying up as I can't remember the legalities of it but I know I did a couple.
    "Audemus jura nostra defendere"- - - - - - - - - - - - - It is useless to hold a person accountable for anything they say while in love, drunk, or running for office.
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    No - it is not illegal to make a cylinder that does this. R&D Gun Shop makes a 45 Colt cylinder for the Ruger Old Army - no FFL needed to purchase it. Brownells sells it, p/n is 633-000-001.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for replies. I had heard about the conversion to .38 S&W and found it hard to believe. Beats me how it can be practical since the .38 S&W bullet is smaller than the .36 perc bore and just slides thru without taking rifling. I know, I tried several .36 percs and several .38 S&W plus other .38 cal rounds. I converted .36 Rem and .51 Colt Navy repros to .22RF by sleeving both cyl and bbl. Made one hour videos of both jobs. Thanks agn. Robert