In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning after Wolf ammo?

FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've fired about 500 rounds of Wolf ammo out of my Mini 14 and want to make sure I get all the residue they leave behind out. What do you guys use? A guy at the biggest store in this state (CT) suggested turpentine! Really!?(Now I know it's better to spend a bit more on brass than to save a few bucks using Wolf)Fitz

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Supposedly, Wolf is non corrossive and therefore doesn't require too much cleaning at least in the preventitive sense. However, many users have reported mildly corrosive effects, so I always clean with either GI surplus WW2 vintage bore cleaner meant for corrossive primers, or with boiling hot water; then any regular bore cleaner. I don't know about turpentine, but I don't see why it wouldn't work to remove powder fouling, though I don't think it would do anythign for metal residue. I do this all mainly with my bolt actions. How you could do with with a mini is open to suggestions, as any semi auto is harder to clean than a bolt gun.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    I think the residue in question is the laquer coating of the case plugging the gas port in gas operated firearms. I suppose turpentine would work, but after only 500rd, this problem does not yet exist. Ammonia on a patch will nuetralize any corrosive agents (Mercury). I use good ole Hoppe's No. 9, otherwise.
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot alot of wolf ammo and found that the green shells have alot less corrosion than the bimetal ones. I just use hoppes 9 bore solvent and it takes the residue right out.[:)]
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is just clean it normally like you would with any other weapon, and just make sure to completely dissasemble and detail clean the gun every once in a while.
  • Options
    rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this guy don't use wolf ammo the steel casings are bad on the ramp and the extractor.

rusty1