In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HELP with Uzi issue

grsmithmdgrsmithmd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have an Uzi in excellent condition with the plastic case and 9mm/45auto conversion kit, sling, etc. How do I tell if it is a Model A or B or mini carbine. Serial number is 0034XX. Also what are these guns worth? Thank you for your help.

Comments

• lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model "B" UZI came in a hard case from the factory. The "A" model came in a cardboard and styrofoam box and /or a zippered gun case. Also the conversions came out after the "A" model had stopped and the "B" was being offered. Of course someone could have always added the hard case and the conversion to the "A" model after the fact. As for value, you'll find them just under $1000 to over $1400-1500. The Mini had a folding stock that folded to the side instead of the traditional that folded in half (over then under)like the "A" and "B".
  • gunner8479gunner8479 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you've got the Mini Uzi sidefolder, it's worth alot more than $1500.00. It's probably worth over $2500.00 or more because of the fact that not many were imported.[8D]

gunner8479
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every "real" UZI I've seen has been stamped on the rear of the receiver, on the right side I believe ... IMI Model A or Model B and the calibur ... so the best way I know of is to look at the weapon ...
    oh.gif Just a thought ...

If its not made by IMI, then it could be a Chinese or Group Industries clone and it would be neither Model A or Model B.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • grsmithmdgrsmithmd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your help. I finally had a chance today to access my Uzi and it is the real thing from IMI and there is this marking ".45-SA1". I assume this is a Model A (particularly from the very early serial number of 0034XX) in a Model B case with the conversion kit. However, I thought only Model B's came in .45 ACP. Any thoughts?
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let the "Low" serial number confuse you. The .45 ACP marked IMI Uzi carbines were all Model B guns. The difference is in the bolt where they added a "trip lever" which insured the gun wasn't able to fire out of bettery like the Original Model A guns could.

In 1987, IMI introduced the .41 Caliber and the .45 ACP Model B's. There wasn't such a gun before that, only Carbines in 9 mm. The UZI was discontinued and no further imports were allowed after the 1989 Ban. Because you have a Low Serial Number, you would probably be correct in knowing your gun was made in 1987. A Regular Model B marked in .45 acp such as yours, is generally worth about $100 LESS Than a 9 mm gun. Why? Who knows? It just is......but with a 9 mm conversion kits along with it, you can add about $250 which makes it worth a good amount.

Unfortunately, when the .45 marked guns came out, they didn't reflect the "Model A or B" in their markings on the gun. However, the only reason for the Model B is to correct the safety problem with the Model A being able to be fired out of battery. They also changed the sights to ones that are much easier to adjust. You will find the sights on your gun are exactly like the ones on the Model B UZI Carbines because it is a Model B.......although not factory marked as a "Model Anything!" Enjoy the gun.......excellent shooters and much more fun when you have both calibers......but slightly more costly to shoot in .45 mode than in the 9 mm.......Hope this helps!

Contrary to what you may have been told, "Green Jello is a Side Dish, NOT Dessert!"
  • grsmithmdgrsmithmd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So the serial number means nothing since the gun is not a Model A or B, now this makes sense. I was going by the information in the newest Blue Book edition in regards to the serial number and apparently this issue is not addressed in there unless I missed it. Does anybody know how many of these "non-designated" guns were produced? Thank you very much RancheroPaul for all the help.
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, the Serial Numbers means it is ".45-SA1 0034XX" which is a .45 acp Model B UZI Carbine. A properly filled out BATF Transfer Sheet would have that serial number filled out as shown....that is if properly filled out. It would be incorrect to designate the serial number as simply "0034XX" as that is not the "Complete" serial number of the gun...... Just Like the MODEL A's and B's that are Designated as "SA 01,001 to the last gun which was SA 073,544." This full and complete line of lettering appears on all the UZI carbines and is the official serial number.

These are not "non-designated" guns! They are simply ".45 ACP Model B Carbines. It says "SA" which means "Semi-Auto" on all of them. The 9mm numbers began at SA 01,001, while the .45's began with ".45 SA 000001." I know of no publication or web site that has the exact number of the .41 and .45 Model B's that were produced and imported in those two years culminating with the 1989 Ban. The .41 AE guns were marked as ".41 SA 000001" and only a very few of these were sold as the .41 AE was not well accepted.

If you are using the Blue Book of Gun Values as a "Bible" for gun information, I will tell you right now, you are in for a great surprise. It is filled with in-accurate Model, Date, and other "WRONG" information, which can confuse you and inform you as to many "un-truths." At Best, The Blue Book of Gun Values is a "Guide" only, and at worst, it is an Imcomplete "Work in Progress."

Your .45 acp UZI, though a nice gun, is not the Model most coveted. The 9mm commands the best prices and is the most desired as a collectible gun.

Contrary to what you may have been told, "Green Jello is a Side Dish, NOT Dessert!"