In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SA Revolver- 3 part question

LawrenceLawrence Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Background: I'm not a collector. I like shooting. I'm from the days when we called it combat shooting not cowboy action...
I shoot a couple of .22 colt scouts and a colt .45 (now, I know it's 2nd generation)...I got a good deal on a set of colts-commemoratives..without the wooden display box. A scout and a .45 colt...they both have some finish damage. Pretty ugly..I think they sat in a wet box, which would explain..no box..
question 1) I plan on shooting with both. Is there any reason they shouldn't be fired (aside from collector value) are Commemorative revolvers made just like the working models ? or any weaknesses.?
question 2) the gold is wearing off or fading off both...it looks like chrome underneath...can I wipe the gold plating away with brasso or some other cleaner or is that the steel showing underneath ?
question 3) the scout has a black finish on the aluminum grip frame
can some type of paint be used to touch this up ?
Thanks for any info. and I don't want to offend any collectors...

Comments

• Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1) Shoot 'em. The collector value is nil on commemoratives unless NIB condition; in fact they are probably worth less than similar regular models in the same condition.

2) Plating can be removed.

3) Try Brownell's for Aluminum Black. Or my personal favorite for this application, VHT exhaust system paint, well-cured.

redcedars
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many Thanks, this makes this old shooter very happy or is it this happy shooter very old, no, wait...the first one...really Thanks
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Lawerence, I remember you from the post I answered on the Colt generations. So its a second gen...what range? EARLY- to #39000, MID RANGE- to 75,000 or LATE- 75000 plus? DO YOU HAVE THE BOX??? Those boxes make the value of the pistol take a healthy jump! .45 is the most valuable caliber and 4-3/4" the most popular length. I can't hope to tell you as much as someone like JudgeColt, but I can say that very FEW folks are shooting those second gen pistols these days, especially the early ones, as they are getting too valuable. I'd say put away the second gen and shoot the heck out of that commemerative if, as MR. Pig says, it is checked out and is safe to shoot.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark,
    Well going by those numbers it's (late)...back when I bought it in the 80 s in Colorado, SA revolvers were fairly cheap. I passed up on buying the old looking ones because the bores looked kind of pitted.
    Probably from black powder...If I only knew then.....but I will get the Commem.'s checked out, just to make sure....Lawrence