In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 Mag ?

reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Going to buy a 357 and would like to know the differences between a 4" and 6" barrel. Mainly wondering about accuracy and velocity differences. Thanks

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.

Comments

• Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Neither of the qualities you mentioned are significantly different at the barrel lengths you mention. A 4" is more of a personal defense weapon than much of anything else; the 6" length is about the minimum you'd want to use for either hunting or target shooting & is a lot harder to conceal if it's going to serve as a defensive weapon. The 4" will have a significantly higher "felt recoil" owing to the lighter weight barel up front, as well as a shorter sight radius, if you're trying to aim & hit where you aim much beyond 30 feet or so. Both will not develop the velocity potential of a barrel longer than 6".
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought Ruger GP-100. I shot a friend's in 4"/blue. I found the recoil to be a little much, so I figured I'd opt for the 6"/stainless. The recoil feels the same to me. However, I'm 10x more accurate with the 6". I was all over the target at 7 yds. with the 4". This is also my first revolver. I'm a semi-auto kinda guy, so I guess I'm still adjusting as well.

-Marcus

****Happiness is a new gun.****
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going with the 6". I will mainly be using this for hunting and target shooting. The two I am looking at are the Ruger GP 100 and the Taurus 627 Tracker titanium (ported). Would like to hear a little about both. Is the ported any better? The Taurus is lighter. How much noisier is the ported?

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    gary50gary50 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ruger Gp100 is a great gun and so is the taurus 327. I personaly would go with the Taurus. The porting on the taurus will cut the recoil back quite a bit, and the grip makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Taurus 2" .357 ported. It has less recoil than my 1911.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey ram, what's the muzzle blast like on that 2" ported .357? I had a 4" ported Taurus; great shooting gun for the money. Only prob was the cylinder latch screw working loose, easily solved with Loc-tite. But it did have a good blast with full house loads. Bet that 2" is spectacular after dark!

Seriously reb, try to shoot as many different guns and configurations as you can and then go with the one you shoot the best. I have settled on a 4" S&W 686. Personally, I tend to prefer the 4" barrel revolvers for offhand shooting. Seems like I can hold it steadier although it may just be that the wobbling is less noticeable.
    Good luck.

redcedars
  • Options
    charlieccharliec Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered a S&W. There is one 6" 586 and several 686 listed on GB. I have a 4" 586. Bought it used over the Ruger new. Just my .02
    Check out auction# 5554006

Chuck

If man thinks for one minute he understands women, he's timed it about right

Edited by - charliec on 10/01/2002 02:01:10