In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleaning Satin Nickel Finish

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a steel .45ACP Colt Commander in a Satin Nickel finish that I bought new many years ago. The finish is starting to look terrible - no rust or anything like that - the finish simply looks dirty and dark. I haven't tried to clean it because I don't want to use a polish that could damage the finish rather than clean it up. What should I buy to clean it up so the Satin Nickel finish looks the way it did when I bought it? The pistol has not been abused in anyway and other than the finish problem it is in an excellent like new condition.
Let me know what you would recommend - thanks
John

John in PA
jmknaut@juno.com

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun, but my finish looks as good as when I bought the gun new. I have heard others with the same complaint as yours, and, unfortunately, I haven't heard of anyone who had success restoring the finish without replating.

You might want to call Pittsburgh Handgun, 412-766-6100. They do plating work and gunsmithing, and are the best I have seen. Colt refers plating requests to them. They may be able to give you advice, or, if not, they have the technical ability to do a first class job replating the gun.

Neal
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    All you have to do is find a local gunsmith who has a bead blaster, and get him to hit it with some light media- plastic beads will usually suffice, he'll tell you what you need. Not very expensive, and, if the gun doesn't have any bad scratches on it, it'll look just like new.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    That is the WORST finish ever put on a gun by a manufacturer. It shows scratches badly, and I know of no easy way to make it look good.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try Simichrome polish. Sometimes it can do wonders. Try first somewhere it won't matter too much if you don't like the result. Maybe inside the trigger guard.