In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Law enforcement ammo?

doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Is it Black Hills or Black Talon....Well, I can't remember. But the one that is almost exclusively used by law-enforcement...what makes that kind of ammo so special? And expensive?

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Talon was given a rep by some PR folks and the media ran with it.
    It is a hollowpoint and no better or different than the rest.
    Winchester limits it to LEO due to the publicity they received.
    When people are told they can't have something,they decide they need it more and will pay more.
    cpermd
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Talon ammo is all but gone.Very few LEAs use it because it is no longer made to my knowledge.Gold Dot Police ammo is very common as well as some of the other Winchester,Federal and Corbon ammo.As their are more Ive not mentioned Im sure.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen many different kinds of ammo in boxes that say "For Law Enforcement Use" and often they are +P or even +P+.
  • pabloescobarpabloescobar Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cpermd is correct in saying people will pay more for something they cant have, black talon i feel is a good round, at least in my .40cal. winchester still makes them , but it comes in a different name and different look. the civilian version is called the sxt, or home defense ammo. the law enforcement version is the ranger sxt, it is the same as the black talon, minus the dark grey moly coating on the bullet, you can find the ranger sxt on gunbroker, i bought a box of 50 for about 25.00 dollars, and dont let these clowns fool you into paying anything more than 30.00, by claiming it is the "black talon". personaly i would only buy a box of the originals as a collectors item. i compared the ranger slugs to that of the hornady xtp(?), and remington hydra-shok, and i have to say that i was more impressed with the weight retention, and expansion of the ranger sxt. i did not compare it to the gold-dot though. sorry about the lengthy chapter on the "BLACK TALON, COP KILLER , ARMOR PEIRCING, WHATEVER THE MEDIA WANTS TO CALL IT ROUND -PABLO
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black hills is a separate ammo company in Rapid City, S Dakota.
    Black Talon is or was a trade name of Winchester. The blk talon had a nickle case and blk annodized bullet. The new Ranger SXT uses a brass case, and copper jacketed bullet but is essentially the same bullet as the Blk Talon, only a different color.
    My dept used the Talon until it was no longer available. It performed well. We then switched to the SXT ( Supreme Expansion Technology) ammo which is just as good.
    As mentioned above, the only reason Black Talon is soooo expensive is because its called Blk Talon, and comes in that spiffy blk box, and you cant get it anymore.